What metals do i need to know about

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Does mixing them cause oxidation?
Oxidation is caused by being exposed to air (rust is the oxidation most people easily recognize).

Disimilar (on a had core chemical basis) metals can cause 'galvanic action' where, among other things, one of the metals is basically 'consumed' by the other.

Aluminum and copper are kind of dissimilar, but both of them are 'tolerant' of tin. We can 'tin plate' aluminum, and we can 'tin plate' copper, this allows us to unstall aluminum lugs onto copper bus without concern of a negative interaction.

jeremysterling

There is also brass, bronze and stainless steel.

Yes, great examples of metal alloys.

Zinc anodes and alloys are important.

Other pipe alloy examples are monel and inconel.

Better study up on lead and other battery metals.

Precious metal are used for conductors.

Don't forget about semi-conductors.

kwired

Electron manager
I know there is galvanized, aluminum, copper, tinned copper. Should i know of more?

Does mixing them cause oxidation?

There are many natural and probably even more man made alloys out there. Every type of metal has its own charactristics that makes it good or bad choice for specific applications. Most metals are good conductors of electricity but other than that, what exactly are you asking?

Eddy Current

There are many natural and probably even more man made alloys out there. Every type of metal has its own charactristics that makes it good or bad choice for specific applications. Most metals are good conductors of electricity but other than that, what exactly are you asking?

Which ones do i need to know about. I know its not good practice to mix dissimilar metals.

Eddy Current

Does ionization have anything to do with mixing different metals, or is that just restricted to gas and air pressure?

Is this why we use pipe dope?

Is green copper galvanic corrosion or just oxidation? Its just oxidation right?

Last edited:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Which ones do i need to know about. I know its not good practice to mix dissimilar metals.

What is the application of the metals in question?

For instance, the construction of conduit.

Or are you asking what conductors are made of?

Or are you asking what connectors are made of?

Or are you asking what a bender is made of?

Also, it's not quite clear as to what you mean by 'know about'. Do you mean just realizing they exist or are you looking for other properties as well? Dissimilarity would be one property. K factor another. Atomic weight, types of alloys, applications, melt point, etc.

Eddy Current

What is the application of the metals in question?

For instance, the construction of conduit.

Or are you asking what conductors are made of?

Or are you asking what connectors are made of?

Or are you asking what a bender is made of?

Also, it's not quite clear as to what you mean by 'know about'. Do you mean just realizing they exist or are you looking for other properties as well? Dissimilarity would be one property. K factor another. Atomic weight, types of alloys, applications, melt point, etc.

It was just a general question, working in the electrical field which metals do i need to know about.

I guess it would be helpful to know what lugs are made of and what different types conduit are made of, say for example emt.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
It was just a general question, working in the electrical field which metals do i need to know about.

I guess it would be helpful to know what lugs are made of and what different types conduit are made of, say for example emt.

From the NEC, "EMT is generally made of steel (ferrous) with protective coatings or aluminum (non-ferrous)".

Lugs could be made of tin plated copper alloy. Or gold plated for that matter.

Did we mention gold and silver? How about zinc? Zinc alloys are used to make fittings.

So, generally, there is no sufficient general answer. Metallurgy is a rather complex science (I used to be a metallurgical technician). Since by definition a metal is a material that conducts electricity, they all can be applied to the electrical field in some form or another.

Tantalum is used to make capacitors, for instance. Tungsten for light bulb filaments. Ni-Chrome for heating elements. Lead is used in batteries and so is lithium. The one place you will find cadmium is in Ni-Cad batteries. Mercury is used in lights and switches. Sodium is also used in lights.

I am sure there are more, those are just off the top of my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.