What to do with two pairs of cat5 leftover

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke warmwater

Re: What to do with two pairs of cat5 leftover

Hal, I agree.

It took one of my guys 4 hours to install RJ-45 ends and RG-6 ends on. Standing in one place in front of a home network box. His eyes were probably ready to explode.

Now how many receptacles could he have installed in 4 hours? Alot.

jimwalker

"Now how many receptacles could he have installed in 4 hours? Alot."

When i see something like this happening i pull the guy off of that job and let him do something else.Had something like this happen couple weeks ago.Great journeyman but when i mentioned we had to install the phone jacks and cable plates he looked at me kinda funny.To save time i told him just pass them up and do the receptacles.Was faster for me to just do them than to have him loose a lot of hours over a simple job.

luke warmwater

Jim, I'm not comlaining about how long it took him.

He had alot of terminations to do, and it is tedious work.
I was simply pointing out that it takes much longer to do these terminations than it does to install a switch or a receptacle.

ryan_618

I haven't seen (or heard of) Cat7 yet. About two weeks ago I made an installer remove about, oh, I don't know, 3,000 feet or so of Cat6. The builing had a raised floor (not an IT room) that was used for air handling purposes. They used Riser cable instead of Plenum cable :(

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Jim, if you consider them a simple job either somebodies not doing them right or there aren't very many of them.

Telecom and data is all we do and I've done it for many years so I would think I know what I'm doing. If you don't take your time and pay attention you are going to make mistakes. I still do.

Oh, and I'm not talking about phone jacks and cable plates. Crawl around under 50 cubicle workstations and install 100 or so cat5 jacks then tell me how easy it is.

-Hal

[ August 28, 2005, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: hbiss ]

M

mkoloj

Originally posted by hbiss:
Jim, if you consider them a simple job either somebodies not doing them right or there aren't very many of them.

Telecom and data is all we do and I've done it for many years so I would think I know what I'm doing. If you don't take your time and pay attention you are going to make mistakes. I still do.

Oh, and I'm not talking about phone jacks and cable plates. Crawl around under 50 cubicle workstations and install 100 or so cat5 jacks then tell me how easy it is.

-Hal
50 cubicles ?
When I started in this field at 19 I remember days doing 150 cubes or terminatiing a rack with 300+ cables on it all while working 20 hrs/day from 7am until 3am to make a deadline.
The boss was walking around hanging out supercharged Starbucks expresso's in large cups to keep us awake. I fell asleep under a cube and the next thing I feel is a light kicking on the soles of my feet as I am snoring under a cube.
Or punching down 900 pair risers, I remember doing the first 100 pair but the other 800 were a blur and all were tested and verified with not a single mistake (that anyone found). ;)

Would I want to do this now ??
Not a chance !!
It is tedious work but with a guy that can concentrate, a radio blaring your favorite tunes the time goes by.

As far as those cat 7 terminations, yes they do look more tedious but hopefully that will weed out some of the gung-ho electrician's that think they know how to do data wiring.
I hope you all know that I am in no way referring to any of the guys on this forum, unless you are responsible for the work that makes me biased in this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.