What UPS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Be sure to size the line conductors properly. Had an electrician that put in a 3000 watt unit and it would not work when loaded. Well duh he ran #12 AWG for the 12 VDC.

This is a very good point Brian. I've installed lots of Xantrex Prosine inverters and for the 3000w 12vdc inverter they say you need 500kcmil conductors for a residential install.
And it is not just based on the load. It was based on the huge in-rush of current into the the inverter to charge the internal capacitors. If your wires are too small the inverter will error-out do to initial voltage drop.

iwire

Staff member
In other words suggest to the Customer that you will retain the services of an engineer to study the issue and develop the appropriate solution to it of which you will implement.

Yeah, I can see that happening, I am pretty sure we are talking about a dwelling unit.:rolleyes:

Mr Homeowner we need to hire engineer to figure this out for us 'cause we's just morons'. :D

Occupation
Inspector
Thanks for the input and discussion so far. I'm still looking at this but it appears that the best option would be pump with built in back-up.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Yeah, I can see that happening, I am pretty sure we are talking about a dwelling unit.:rolleyes:

Mr Homeowner we need to hire engineer to figure this out for us 'cause we's just morons'. :D

HA! That is really funny. It's the same thing I thought when I saw the engineer post that maybe an engineering consult was needed for the poor electrician to figure out this simple problem.

HA! That is really funny. It's the same thing I thought when I saw the engineer post that maybe an engineering consult was needed for the poor electrician to figure out this simple problem.

How do you know it is a simple problem?

There wasn't sufficient data to determine THAT basic fact.

Suggesting that a UPS to be used was indicative that there is something basically wrong with the whole process. Somebody either knows something unusual is going on or somebody is a moron.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.