What Would You Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkyrick

I recently set in place a new service/panelboard for a new Golden Arches and the the outside wall was so out-of-plumb, it looks like WE screwed up. The bottom is tight to the wall, but the top is over a half inch away from the wall. I could have tilted the gear a little bit so it matched the wall, but I decided not to. Guess I take too much pride in my work.

sparkyrick

A quick look at the gear.
0b9d8deaf78ee3713ae3cbc3f1446a1f.jpg

mgookin

1/2" in ten feet is <1%.

I respect that you want it perfect. After all, it's new work and people are working hard and someone's putting out lots of money. It should be right.

But I don't think that 1% variation is going to be a big deal.

You ask "What would you do?" I'd let the GC know about it to CYA.

sparkyrick

1/2" in ten feet is <1%.

I respect that you want it perfect. After all, it's new work and people are working hard and someone's putting out lots of money. It should be right.

But I don't think that 1% variation is going to be a big deal.

You ask "What would you do?" I'd let the GC know about it to CYA.

Thanks. I'll ask that question Monday. I HATE it when someone else's crappy work makes my work look shoddy.

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
5/8 firecode wall board or metal lathe and plaster* will cover the gap anyway, so what?

*or whatever is code for McD's restaurant walls.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Understood, for sure. I would block top or bottom as needed, if practical to do so and if it would look OK that way. If not, I'd just have to mount it to the wall as is and let it be. Some things we can't control.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
plumb by what? a 4ft oil bubble, 8ft, laser? is the wood straight?
when i want to show what the others have goofed i bring my mil-spec digital inclinometer ;)
i always install my stuff correctly.

sparkyrick

plumb by what? a 4ft oil bubble, 8ft, laser? is the wood straight?
when i want to show what the others have goofed i bring my mil-spec digital inclinometer ;)
i always install my stuff correctly.

Brand new 2' bubble level. I'm gonna confirm with my PLS laser plumb tomorrow. If I'm right, the gear stays. If my brand new 2' level, which I used during the install was off, it moves.

mgookin

Brand new 2' bubble level. I'm gonna confirm with my PLS laser plumb tomorrow. If I'm right, the gear stays. If my brand new 2' level, which I used during the install was off, it moves.

To verify your level in the field, turn it around. If it's off, it can't read correctly both ways.

A plumb bob is another good test. You can make one by hanging any weight on a string which is tied to a nail or joist/ truss overhead. Set it so the string is 1/8"or so from the edge of your equipment and see if it's constant offset the whole way down. It will also tell you if your equipment has a bow in it which would render your 2' level not so precise.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

[h=1]Stabila 36524 24-Inch Electronic Dust and Waterproof IP65 TECH Level with Case[/h]
they aren't cheap, but they eliminate a lot of doubt.
the digital ones still zero off the spirit level, but give
you an accurate measurement of angle. works well when
bending large pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.