Which is considered a continuous load?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxxg8r

Im taking my journeymans exam in a couple of days and while studying I came across a question which has me stumped.

Which of the following is NOT considered a continuous load?

A. a stove
B. a flood light
C. a water heater
D. a fixed space heater

I answered a stove because most likely it would not be on for more than 3 hrs. at a time. Also the heating element doesn't continuously stay on while cooking.

A flood light would most likely be on all night. But based on what I am reading it says the answer is a flood light.

While studying I am finding a lot of info that is wrong. Could anyone please clarify this for me?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I agree with your answer. But I will add that it is a poor question. A water heater is not considered a continuous load if it is a storage type with a capacity exceeding 120 gallons. That is a fairly large tank. Mine is 65 gallons, and the available space would not support an 80 gallon tank. So most residential tanks would be continuous loads. But a point-of-demand water heater is not a continuous load. So the question is misleading.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As Charlie stated it's not a great question but I agree that the stove would be the best answer.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I agree with your answer. But I will add that it is a poor question. A water heater is not considered a continuous load if it is a storage type with a capacity exceeding 120 gallons. That is a fairly large tank. Mine is 65 gallons, and the available space would not support an 80 gallon tank. So most residential tanks would be continuous loads. But a point-of-demand water heater is not a continuous load. So the question is misleading.
Poorly worded question without a doubt. However, testing authorities seldom offer recourse. So it comes down to selecting the desired answer, whether correct or not.

Based on 422.13 and 424.3(B), I would eliminate C and D from the desired answer pool. Leaves A and B to choose from.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Based on 422.13 and 424.3(B), I would eliminate C and D from the desired answer pool. Leaves A and B to choose from.

I would agree. C could be a continuous load, so its not the right answer.

424.3(B) completely rules out B, so I don't understand why "all of the above" would be right???

I would have said a stove also.

A flood light would be continuous, unless maybe its cord and plug connected. Are plug loads ever considered continuous? There isn't any way to know how much will be plugged into a general receptacle circuit anyway.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
424.3(B) completely rules out B [D?], so I don't understand why "all of the above" would be right???
424.3(B) is regarding branch circuit sizing. There is nothing in the question which says this is for a branch circuit. At service/feeder level, a fixed space heater is NOT considered a continuous load.

A flood light would be continuous, unless maybe its cord and plug connected. Are plug loads ever considered continuous? There isn't any way to know how much will be plugged into a general receptacle circuit anyway.
Cord-and-plug loads can be continuous. Plugging into a general-purpose receptacle is not stated.

foxxg8r

Thanks for the responses guys. It seems the more I study, the more differing info I find. Makes it really difficult in a test situation. Thanks again.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Thanks for the responses guys. It seems the more I study, the more differing info I find. Makes it really difficult in a test situation. Thanks again.

This may not be the right thing to say... but I will speak my mind.

Excluding Mike Holt material the test I have seen are total BS. They are so vague, dated, and poorly worded that the more you know the more likely you are to get it wrong. If experienced electrician find themselves going in circles, what does that leave for an aspiring student? Simple: self loathing with discouragement. Tests look for mediocre minds, not great ones.

I never learned taking tests. I learned by sitting down and forcing myself to read the NEC (and still do everyday as I sorely lack code understanding)

I truly believe that code theory should be apprenticed like physical labor.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

Bingo! We have the right answer. :thumbsup:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

What/Who's study material are you using?

I know Mike Holt's study material has some wrong answers in the answer key. There is a list of incorrect answers on his web site.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Although the wording isn't great for the reason that Charlie pointed out I don't see how a stove can ever be a continuous load by the Article 100 definition. It will not run at it's maximum ampacity continuously for 3 hours under any condition. So if you analyze all four choices you would end up with:

Can any of the following be considered a continuous load?

A. a stove {Never}
B. a flood light {Maybe}
C. a water heater {Maybe}
D. a fixed space heater {Yes}

Smart $

Esteemed Member
...a stove can ever be a continuous load by the Article 100 definition. It will not run at it's maximum ampacity continuously for 3 hours under any condition. ...
Never? :blink:

I agree a stove will not within reasonable probability. But that one extreme chance that it will is still out there. :happyyes:

Consider this scenario. Sub-zero temperatures outside. The gas furnace breaks down. Your HVAC guy can't make it until tomorrow. You have no backup means of heat other than the stove. Hey Mikey, let's turn on all the stove burners on high and set the oven on broil.

kwired

Electron manager
Never? :blink:

I agree a stove will not within reasonable probability. But that one extreme chance that it will is still out there. :happyyes:

Consider this scenario. Sub-zero temperatures outside. The gas furnace breaks down. Your HVAC guy can't make it until tomorrow. You have no backup means of heat other than the stove. Hey Mikey, let's turn on all the stove burners on high and set the oven on broil.

And if you do that you either melt down a surface element if it doesn't at least have a big pot of water on it as a heat sink for many old fashioned elements, many newer elements types will still cycle some, or you have enough continuous load that the overcurrent device maybe doesn't hold for more then 3 hours. So I am still sticking with never as the most logical answer:p

Status
Not open for further replies.