WHITE PVC

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
the only difference i can see on the two is that the grey pvc is marked "rigid"
Gray PVC is listed as conduit, white is not. I believe you can find this info on Carlons web site in the FAQ's.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
When I did pools a long time ago I seem to remember that the fixture with it's cord was a listed assembly and the cord had to be ordered in specific lengths. It was typically furnished by the pool installer.

Roger

NeoAmish

Why would you sleve direct burial rated cable?

I often sleeve DB cable if there is a high percentage of sharp edged rocks and I think there may be frost related ground movement issues.

Actually, I almost never pass up the opportunity to run oversize PVC. As some wise guy said "trenching is expensive, PVC is cheap".

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Why not use what you suppose to use. Electrical PVC conduit isn?t expensive!!
One reason is many times the stub out from the nitch to the outside of the deck is installed by the pool contractor.

Roger

resistance

One reason is many times the stub out from the nitch to the outside of the deck is installed by the pool contractor.

Roger
But the OP is asking can he/she use white conduit. Not rather a pool contractor can use it. Not sure why this would excuse a qualify electrician from using what?s required?

But I see your point?I guess:happyno::happyyes::D

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
But the OP is asking can he/she use white conduit.
You may be right but, they could also be asking about an existing or someone elses installation, they did not include "can I use" in their question.

Roger

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
300.5(D)(4) Enclosure or Raceway Damage. Where the enclosure
or raceway is subject to physical damage, the conductors
shall be installed in rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal
conduit, Schedule 80 PVC conduit, or equivalent.

Can I approve an equivalent? :cool:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
White cannot be used. I know a homeowner who, many years ago, ran white PVC to his barn. The county inspector told him he needed to paint it gray. True story- I almost died laughing.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
White cannot be used. I know a homeowner who, many years ago, ran white PVC to his barn. The county inspector told him he needed to paint it gray. True story- I almost died laughing.
Dennis, with the exception of identification purposes I don't think there is any difference from the manufacturing stand point. So looking at it from that perspective, I think the inspector was using good old common sense and was being very fair.

Roger

resistance

300.5(D)(4) Enclosure or Raceway Damage. Where the enclosure
or raceway is subject to physical damage, the conductors
shall be installed in rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal
conduit, Schedule 80 PVC conduit, or equivalent.

Can I approve an equivalent? :cool:
Good one, Post #8 knocks this down. I don’t believe the white plastic is an equivalent.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Dennis, with the exception of identification purposes I don't think there is any difference from the manufacturing stand point. So looking at it from that perspective, I think the inspector was using good old common sense and was being very fair.

Roger

Good one, Post #8 knocks this down. I don?t believe the white plastic is an equivalent.

UV is a difference I believe.

I believe white is an equivalent for protection in this case so that means I can approve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.