white wire reidentified as traveler (yes or no)

Status
Not open for further replies.

keenalu1

Banned
this question pertains to multiconductor nm-b 14-3 or other raceways expt. as per art. 404.2 a ie(other meta raceways)
I read the code as saying no and I'll make reference

per art. 200.7 c-2.... is used for the supply to the switch (hot...) but not as a return conductor from switch to switched outlet.
( standard dead end 3 wy)

the source distribution of said aformention branch circuit is the first 3 way (switch) in a standard dead end three way

see art. 404.2 a exp.(switch loop contains no grounded conductor)
ie. cold switch
read definitions. art 100; outlet( the box which contains the dead end three way), utilization equiptment(the light).
( self-explanatory) now it is!

this debate is worth a lunch to me, as for i have wagered amongst my potential peers.

and when did this become unacceptable 02 or 99

ryan_618

Keenalu: Please understand that your question was VERY difficult to read. Try using complete sentances when you ask a question, and not using abbreviations(?) that nobody understands.
For example:
expt. as per art. 404.2 a (metal)
except?
end 3 wy)
way?
no Ca wiring is un
?????????
art. 404.2 a exp.
exception???
ie. cold switch
What is a cold switch???
read def. art 100; outlet, utlization eqpt.
equipment? defintion? Article?
fopa 02 or 99
FOPA???????????

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Re: did u even read the code or are stuck in 99

Re: did u even read the code or are stuck in 99

keenalu1 said:
Re: did u even read the code or are stuck in 99, read the code

Ok, now that we've gotten the insults out of the way, I was just commenting that I couldn't understand your post. Obviously Ryan did since he posted a reply. Whether you agree of not, the OP was far from concise and difficult to understand.

ryan_618

Re: sorry

Re: sorry

keenalu1 said:

Not a problem. Just remember that this board has people from all over the country, so abbreviations and slang often make things difficult.

For example, I always called a metal 4" x 4" box a "foursqaure box". Other parts of the country call it a "1900". It just helps tp make your questions more clear is all. :)

ty

Re: white wire reidentified as traveler (yes or no)

keenalu1 said:
this question pertains to multiconductor nm-b 14-3 or other raceways expt. as per art. 404.2 a (metal)

404.2(A)Exception states that "switch loops shall not require a grounded conductor"

per art. 200.7 c-2 is used for the supply to the switch but not as a return conductor from switch to switched outlet ( standard dead end 3 wy)

200.7(C)(2) also includes ..."shall be permanently reidentified to indicate its use..."

as we all no Ca wiring is un acceptable

????

ie. cold switch

Do I understand your terminology to be a 'Cold Switch' as one without a grounded conductor present in the box?

read def. art 100; outlet, utlization eqpt.
( self-explanatory)

A snap switch is neither.
Ad definition of Qualified Person

this debate is worth a lunch to me, as for i have wagered amongst my potenial peers.

FWIW,
I agree with you that the white wire, even reidentified, is not to be used as a traveller in a dead end 3-way switch loop. IMO, it should be the Common.
With that said, you will find those that will and can argue that once reidentified, it shouldn't matter.

and when did this become fopa 02 or 99

Do you mean NFPA70??
Some of the sections that you are referencing were added in 2002 as can be noted by the solid vertical line that runs next to the applicable section.

ty

ty said:
With that said, you will find those that will and can argue that once reidentified, it shouldn't, or doesn't matter.

As Ryan did above.

Wow. Alot of typing going on. :)

[/b]

keenalu1

Banned
i.e. ( for instance) cold switch ( what is for a 1000?)

i.e. ( for instance) cold switch ( what is for a 1000?)

a cold switch- in lay persons terms- is when power or hot or ungrounded single or three phase conductors ...providing it's less than 300 volts between system phases in the same box, enclosure,etc(etcetera) ...in an unsupervised,or otherwise unattended SINGLE FAMILY DWELLING....... (oh?!.. where was i) is brought to the light, receptacle, or whatever and thus (utilization equiptment)..... ( ...."()"- means a thought amidst meanstream thought....although the code inerprets a receptacle as a device and therefore could potentially be an exception to the topic at hand...) two wires ...( well really three because we need to ground said switch...)are extended beyond the light to a single pole single throw switch for arguement sake... which is not the case in my question ... were this box is the only means of disconnection for said utilization equiptment ... ( once again the light?!@#!)

keenalu1

Banned
fopa

fopa

i spelled faux pas I 've read most of your posts and others who aren't grammatically correct for the most part. i hadn't realized i am amongst such ...( i have no idea how to spell) roadscholars

:wink: :wink: :wink:

keenalu1

Banned
the question of shouldn't or shall not

the question of shouldn't or shall not

what is the answer? i need to know

am i a moron or the instructors teaching me to critical of the code as are u guys?.... beause i 've seen some of your proposals.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
If you're not able to construct a complete sentence, I understand and I feel for you. However, not making the slightest effort to make yourself better understood does not count in your favor.

See this thread for a discussion on this topic. (I mean the white traveller topic, not the grammar problem.) :p

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: the question of shouldn't or shall not

Re: the question of shouldn't or shall not

keenalu1 said:
what is the answer? i need to know
Honestly, all jabs aside, I'm not completely sure what your question is, that's no joke.

See the attached thread and tell us what your opinion of the matter is.

It's an old thread, so some things might not look right due to the new forum not seeing the old forum very well. If there's any questions on some of the posts, post the link to the post and well try to clarify.

am i a moron...
No.

Just make yourself understood! :)

...or the instructors teaching me to critical of the code as are u guys?.... beause i 've seen some of your proposals.
Always be critical of the code and of other's interpretations of it. I'm not saying disregard, just read everything for yourself, and come back and discuss this slowly and logically, and we might have a good discussion come from it. ;)

keenalu1

Banned
thanx george

thanx george

I've not been concise to say the least; however, It's been my exp. (experience) that most see the glass half empty :oops: !

keenalu1

Banned
absorbing info

absorbing info

I'll have to get back to this tomorrow. i thank you all sifting through my fluff and leading me in the right direction. I am new and do not think, well as of yet, I am e-mail savvy nor literate. i truly appreciate the patience and camaraderie! :D

P.S. i'll try not to speak in :twisted: superlatives?

Minuteman

keenalu1 said:
this question pertains to multiconductor nm-b 14-3 or other raceways expt. as per art. 404.2 a ie(other meta raceways)

per art. 200.7 c-2.... is used for the supply to the switch (hot...) but not as a return conductor from switch to switched outlet.
( standard dead end 3 wy)

the source distribution of said aformention branch circuit is the first 3 way (switch) in a standard dead end three way

ie. cold switch
read definitions. art 100; outlet( the box which contains the dead end three way), utilization equiptment(the light).
( self-explanatory) now it is!

this debate is worth a lunch to me, as for i have wagered amongst my potential peers.

and when did this become unacceptable 02 or 99

The practice of re-identifying the white / gray colored conductor (as in part of a cable) for switch loops (except for the return path) has been allowed as far back as the 1990 code cycle.

That's as far back as I can find my code books. I left my '05 at the office, but as far as know (and hope - because I still do it) it is still allowed today.

Status
Not open for further replies.