Who runs the wires to residential HVAC equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelersman

quogueelectric said:
Most units that I have done have a gravity condensate piping out of the attic running outside next to the suction and high pressure lines leading to the compressor. Only the basement should have a condenser pump to pump water out from the basement and yes they usually hook it up to whatever is available with no disconnect.
I've always had to provide an outlet for it to plug into

growler

hillbilly1 said:
growler said:
The HVAC contractor is allowed to run the hook up from the disconnect in georgia.

They usually do, but not legally, the only part they can hook up without an electrical license is the controls incidental to the install. Most inspectors let it slide as we are usually not on site when they bring the compressor out. If it's not hooked up, right away it usually gets stolen. Just remember that it's on your permit, if they screw it up your still responsible for the code violations that can get your final turned down.

43-14-2 (3) " Conditioned air contracting" means the installation, repair , or service of conditioned air systems or conditioned air equipment. Service to or installation of the electrical connection between the electrical disconnect and conditioned air equipment is considered to be installation, repair, or service of conditioned air equipment or the conditioned air system. Service to or installation of the electrical circuit from the electrical distribution panel to the conditioned air equipment where the electrical service to the building or site is a single-phase electrical circuit not exceeding 200 amperes is considered to be installation, repair , or service of conditioned air equipment or the conditioned air system.

This is straight from the Georgia code: chapter 14

If a conditioned air contractor wants to in a house with a single phase service of 200 Amps or less they can run all the way to the distribution panel ( legally ).

peter d

An electrician must do all the line voltage wiring here. However, that does not stop the HVAC contractors from doing it themselves. Some of the larger companies have one of more licensed electricians on staff, but many do not.

growler

peter d said:
An electrician must do all the line voltage wiring here. However, that does not stop the HVAC contractors from doing it themselves.

Which state are you refering to? Have you checked the rules lately?

Most people think they can't do any electrical in Georgia but they are wrong. The rules have been changed for a number of years now.

peter d

growler said:
Which state are you refering to? Have you checked the rules lately?

RI, MA, CT

As far as I can remember the only leeway given to non-electricians to do line voltage electrical work are sign installers and oil burner technicians, both of which require a separate license to do the actual electrical work. Oh, and well contractors too.

Last edited:

steelersman

quogueelectric said:
That is the correct way. However the hvac contractor provides the equipment and only he knows the voltage.
I can assure you that 99% of the time the condensate pump is 120Volts and for my experience it's 100 % of the time 120Volts, even in commercial installations.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Georgia used to require that ALL outside 120 volt receptacles have in-use covers, but I just checked their website, and they removed that requirement, It's a full time job keeping up with the politicians.

c2500

quogueelectric said:
Most units that I have done have a gravity condensate piping out of the attic running outside next to the suction and high pressure lines leading to the compressor. Only the basement should have a condenser pump to pump water out from the basement and yes they usually hook it up to whatever is available with no disconnect.

Makes sense to me...why they ran it to the pump instead of outside...well lets see...they save about 20 feet of PVC. Hence my questions and concern:grin:

Last edited:

iaov

All the HVAC guys here just want power to the disconnect for the AC. They take it from there. On furnaces tho , some wire them to the switch and some don't.

jrannis

If its new construction you should have a line item for equipment connections. If you forgot, then you could not do it and see if you can force the hand of the AC contractor to do it to complete his job, do it your self or go for the change order. One way or another its going to get done.
We usually connect them just to have control of the work.
Im sure the law intended to not require an electrician on the job for equipment changeouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.