Why HD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbeer

In my experience, some supplies are cheaper at the big boxes simply because they buy in larger quantities and do not adjust their prices daily like alot of suppliers do. Of course you may need to go to both big boxes to get all you need. In service work they can be invaluable as they are on every corner.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Tom, compare pricing on rolls of NM, and panels and breakers.

For example, a 200a main disco cost me $127 at the big box, while the enclosure alone was that much at suppliers.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I agree, Larry.

Certain comodity items will be available a significant savings at home centers.

For depth of product line, I will seek out the stocking distributer/wholesaler.

And I always watch for clearances.

I was real reluctant to come to this perspective, because it means more work. . .I can't just assume that my wholesaler is treating me "right".

emahler

LarryFine said:
Tom, compare pricing on rolls of NM, and panels and breakers.

For example, a 200a main disco cost me $127 at the big box, while the enclosure alone was that much at suppliers.

what did it cost you in labor and lost income to go pick it up vs. having the supply house deliver it?

there is a great article in this month's EC mag about this. We will spend $50/labor and 1.5 hrs in lost productivity to save $30 on a piece of material.

Read it here

Oakey

The warehouse... Cutler Hammer 200 main with cover..$239.00
Lowes................Cutler Hammer 200 main with cover..$151.00

I go especially after 12:00 on Sat when the warehouses close and need something

brian john

I buy misc hardware from the Lowes, HD. I needed GFCI's for my house ,HD was 4 dollars cheaper then the best price I could get from my supplier of 36 years. HD was closer and I needed 25 CBs, so.......

One issue I have mentioned before is we buy off the wall items that Lowes, HD do not carry, If supply houses can not have their bread and butter items, they will stock less of the non standard items. But then there is the internet and UPS or Fed Ex for quick shippping.

ceknight

ptonsparky said:
I see many of you frequent HD, Lowes and other diy stores for your supplies. I am curiuos as to why. I use them as a last resort. Are your local wholesalers that far out of range on their pricing?

I probably should stay out of this thread, since I'm one of those persons who won't shop at HD or Lowes while in the service of my customers, as a matter of principle.

I can tell you that at lunch I dropped into one of my older, slower supply houses to look for some lamps and order a part out of the RAB catalog, and while there I had a cup of coffee and a 15 minute chat with the owner, just catching up on current events -- who's died, whose kids are graduating from where, vacation, etc. Then they took a $40 discontinued brass fixture off the wall and gave it to me for $10. And they quoted me a price on the special order that was $7 cheaper than their competition (rhymes with "haybar" :) ) down the road.

I live for service like that, from local companies with local people grounded in their communities. And I'm pretty sure the teenaged checkout clerk at HD isn't going to provide that level of service and camaraderie. Prices? I really don't care about the price differential between HD and my local suppliers. There's a lot more to it all than just the price.

celtic

I'm with you Chris, I avoid the big box places like the plauge...the only thing I buy there is wood.

When I goto to the electrical supply house, it's at least an hour...90% of the time is spent BS'ing with the people (countermen, other ECs/thiermen, insidesalesmen, etc). The guys at the supply house know that if I call-in an order...that means I'm in a rush and my material is waiting for on the dock.

I'm not a plumber, but am reno. one of my baths....I've been in that supply house so often the countermen ask me "What company?" ...like I have an account there.

I buy my paint from the paint store. These guys mostly laugh at me - and that's fine w/me. Painting is not for me, and it shows when I buy paint "Here's what I am doing, what type paint do I need?" ...they laugh and say prime it first.

The list goes on and on...
It's the service I am paying for....each of these supply houses has stayed open for me to "grab one thing to keep me busy this weekend".

If I had a decent lumber yard by me, I wouldn't set foot in Big Box.

brian john

I agree with the last post, CEPT time's they are a changin. The local supply houses are being bought up. Even the small suppliers with the old FAMILY name may be owned by a giant corporation.

celtic

That elec. supply was owned by a little old miser..Cooper came in and bought it up...they kept some of the old help and brought in some new help.

I don't know the story on the other places...I don't spend nearly as much time there.

ceknight

celtic said:
If I had a decent lumber yard by me, I wouldn't set foot in Big Box.

Fortunately for me, we still have 2 family-owned lumber yards in the area, I'll keep throwing my pennies at them every chance I get. I doubt our local HD has a dog that will lead me to the lumber barns like they do at Willey, I'd miss that terribly. :)

celtic

ceknight said:
... has a dog that will lead me to the lumber barns like they do at Willey, I'd miss that terribly. :)

Now that's cool....screw all that barcode crap :D

dnem

Before I hung up my contractors hat, I didn't mind spending more for materials if it resulted in my customer getting more of an end product. . If I bought Romex at a big box retail chain or at an electrical wholesaler, the end product was the same for my customer but my pocket was lighter if I chose the more expensive supplier. . So if the price difference was significant, I would buy from the cheapest.

But when I lightened my own pocketbook to add CO detectors that were not required by code, nor were being installed by my competitors, I accepted a monetary competitive disadvantage to provide more of an end product for the customer.

I did shop at the big box chains but not because the dollar sign was all important. . I focused on the end product. . But I also wasn't unappreciative of the professionalism of the local wholesaler. . They always got my business when the prices were close.

David

peter d

ceknight said:
I live for service like that, from local companies with local people grounded in their communities.

There are very few suppliers in my area like that anymore. Most of them are large regional or national chains. And they are all staffed with the same people who work at HD or Lowes. Service is good at them, but not excellent. The company I work for gets treated well, but they are a very large company with very high volume. I have picked up will-calls for them and have waited in line for 45 minutes. So it's all relative. I like wholesale suppliers but they aren't all they used to be.

For most residential stuff, the suppliers don't seem to want to be bothered. They'd rather sell gear and lighting packages. I don't blame them.

ceknight

peter d said:
There are very few suppliers in my area like that anymore. Most of them are large regional or national chains....

I'm hearing that more and more from friends all over the country. I don't like hearing it, but I know it's a reality. We're downright blessed here in slow-growth central NY. I have 6 electrical counters to choose from within 12 miles of my house, and 4 are still independent and locally-owned.

peter d said:
For most residential stuff, the suppliers don't seem to want to be bothered. They'd rather sell gear and lighting packages. I don't blame them.

We often exchange a few jokes about that at one of my local counters. Here I am, two-bit resi-only nobody, walking in to buy a handful of cable, boxes, recepts, etc while I'm surrounded at the counter by burly men in uniforms buying thousands of dollars worth of god-knows-what. :) But every one of the counter guys will say hello as they walk by pulling the big orders, and they always thank me for my business, meager as it is. I can live with that.

e2me

Supply houses

Supply houses

OK OK all the crap said and done It comes down to the price. Do I like the guys at my supply house yes . But This is business and in business the dollar rules. I'm i willing to spend $250 more on a small job just to say hey I like my supply house NO.I'm going to do what puts that $ back in my pocket and if you don't you are not doing good business,to you or your customer.If Toms car lot has new vans for 22000 are you going to go to your local ford dealer just because you know the guy and spend 27000 no .So why would you on your electric products. It takes no longer to stop and buy there than at your Supply house . And if your any sort of business man you already know the items they have cheaper regularly and know if your driving to the supply house or Lowe's or whatever. So stop all the holy supply house crap and do what a smart business owner should do and get the best price. On a average home I save almost 400 in wire by buying from home depot who's price is always 15-25% lower than any of the 4 supply houses here.

27hillcrest

My perspective on this is who is closer at the time and will they have it? With the supply house at least you can call and find out before you head on over. With the box store you'll be lucky to get someone that has gone through the 2-day electrical training course???? No help! I have bought most of my NM at the box store just because the prices have been much cheaper. Do like the contractor panel kits they sell!
Cheers'

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I frequent both big box and supply houses.

I do appreciate the knowledge at the supply house. When I have a problem that I'm facing for the first time I like to be able to bounce it off the counter people who maybe know some products that are out there that I didn't know about. Sometimes I get rail-roaded into buying something really nice that my customer doesn't appreciate.

If I know what I need and I know the price at a big box store I'll stop there. Knowing the prices on the shelf don't change very much I also can figure out my price to the customer without having to call the supply house and ask prices for each item I need.

Honestly though, I would like to confine my work to high-value neighborhoods and start making so much more profit that I wouldn't need to look for the cheapest price any longer. I'm still working my way up to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.