Why I need 10/3 for dryer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
The change in 2014 NEC, seems to be from the neutral to the equipment ground. As the neutral is being utilized with the device. With an Exception: For existing branch circuit-installations only where an equipment grounding conductor is not present in the outlet or junction box the frames of clothers dryers shall be permitted to be connected to the grounded circuit conductor. But it has to be at least 10 AWG.
That change took place back in the 1996 NEC not the 2014.

user 100

I disagree, dryers have always needed a neutral. In fact the NEMA 10-30r receptacle has always been classified as none grounding 3 pole 3 wire.

Also, its not just the controls:

I don't know if any dryers ever used it, but at one time there was a NEMA 2-30: straight 240, no neutral- I've only seen the cord cap once and Idk if its manufactured anymore or if its even still recognized by NEMA as a configuration. Would be interesting to see what would still (or did) use that setup.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't know if any dryers ever used it, but at one time there was a NEMA 2-30: straight 240, no neutral- I've only seen the cord cap once and Idk if its manufactured anymore or if its even still recognized by NEMA as a configuration. Would be interesting to see what would still (or did) use that setup.

Haven't seen anything myself that is really old that was an original install say before 1940 that is 30 amp or more. Most older 30 or 50 amp receptacles I have seen were probably installed later then that and are the typical 10-30 or 10-50 types.

I have seen a fair amount of 20 amp 125/250 (probably rated 10-20) volt receptacles in installs that were originally older then 1965ish though.

Have very rarely seen 20 amp 250 volt two wire receptacles, and age wise they all looked like they were installed personally by either Mr. Westinghouse or Mr. Edison.:cool:

user 100

Haven't seen anything myself that is really old that was an original install say before 1940 that is 30 amp or more. Most older 30 or 50 amp receptacles I have seen were probably installed later then that and are the typical 10-30 or 10-50 types.

I have seen a fair amount of 20 amp 125/250 (probably rated 10-20) volt receptacles in installs that were originally older then 1965ish though.

Have very rarely seen 20 amp 250 volt two wire receptacles, and age wise they all looked like they were installed personally by either Mr. Westinghouse or Mr. Edison.:cool:

The only thing I've ever seen that would have come close to accommodating this oddity would be the dual rated old t slot recs- but every one of those I've seen were only rated for 10/15 and 125/250, so there must have been a 2-30r? Or maybe this was some type of weird specialty connector? :huh:

Last edited:

degupita

That change took place back in the 1996 NEC not the 2014.

I don't read the 1996 one. The earliest one I have is 1999. But I don't look at it for the latest codes. I don't even look at the 2011.
I only look at the earlier ones for comparisons.

The 2014 carries the current, valid changes.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't read the 1996 one. The earliest one I have is 1999. But I don't look at it for the latest codes. I don't even look at the 2011.
I only look at the earlier ones for comparisons.

The 2014 carries the current, valid changes.
My point was that this is not a current change, it has been almost 20 years since it has changed. And it was never really anything controversial that had minor changes that followed in the next couple codes, it changed in 1996 and pretty much stayed the same since then. At some point you have to stop calling it current don't you?

AFCI's were introduced in 1999, but have had changes to requirements related to them every three years.

Status
Not open for further replies.