Why is SER ground so large

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrician
The bare conductor is sized as a reduced-size neutral for service applications (hence, S.ervice E.ntrance cable): 3 hots & a neutral
I think this is what the UL standard is trying to adhere too. I never really think of bare shield wire as the neutral anymore. That was the old days before my time. And I'm 57. In my eyes, I see bare copper as a ground only. So in short, its not a NEC thing. Its UL directive.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I’ve repaired emt drops to the racks in the big box stores, over the years, some have actually energized the racks. Forklifts would hit it and pop it out of the coupling, then short against the coupling on the stub, energizing the rack it was attached to. Since the neutral was not compromised, it didn’t fault and remained energized.
You lost me here. What does the neutral not being compromised have to do with clearing a fault? What would a wire type EGC do to resolve this?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You lost me here. What does the neutral not being compromised have to do with clearing a fault? What would a wire type EGC do to resolve this?
My take is the damaged hot wire energized the load side of the gap in the EMT, but because the neutral was not damaged and did not also make contact with the EMT, there wan no fault-current pathway, and had there been a wire-type EGC, there would have been.

Occupation
Electrician
My take is the damaged hot wire energized the load side of the gap in the EMT, but because the neutral was not damaged and did not also make contact with the EMT, there wan no fault-current pathway, and had there been a wire-type EGC, there would have been.
Thats the way I see it. The egc is suppose to be bonded at both ends. The neutral is only bonded to the ground on the supply side.

I have seen too many times throughout my career where EMT used as a EGC has failed over time. It is not worth forgoing the use of an EGC wire to save money while sacrificing safety. I will never be convinced otherwise.
I’ve repaired emt drops to the racks in the big box stores, over the years, some have actually energized the racks. Forklifts would hit it and pop it out of the coupling, then short against the coupling on the stub, energizing the rack it was attached to. Since the neutral was not compromised, it didn’t fault and remained energized.
It seems like I always get these renovation jobs that have poorly installed EMT, often half inch with a zillion fittings..... I actually can't remember a single time having a fault not clear immediately, always works like a charm for me even despite the often poor craftsmanship. I like the raceway as an EGC because you can see it, what I don't trust is all the wire EGC connections either poorly made or not made that you can't see.

Even if we do have a box or section of raceway where that becomes energized and the fault not cleared, really how likely is that to kill or hurt someone? IMO if people stopped obsessing about grounding so much and focused on some other things, overall things would be a lot safer.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I looked it up. EMT is permitted where subject to physical damage (new wording in 2020) but not severe physical damage. Forklift damage seems appropriately categorized as severe.

I looked it up. EMT is permitted where subject to physical damage (new wording in 2020) but not severe physical damage. Forklift damage seems appropriately categorized as severe.
And regardless of that, if you have not only forklift operators smashing into electrical raceways, but then the damage just sitting there unrepaired, you have far greater problems that a wire EGC is not going to fix.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
It seems like I always get these renovation jobs that have poorly installed EMT, often half inch with a zillion fittings..... I actually can't remember a single time having a fault not clear immediately, always works like a charm for me even despite the often poor craftsmanship. I like the raceway as an EGC because you can see it, what I don't trust is all the wire EGC connections either poorly made or not made that you can't see.

Even if we do have a box or section of raceway where that becomes energized and the fault not cleared, really how likely is that to kill or hurt someone? IMO if people stopped obsessing about grounding so much and focused on some other things, overall things would be a lot safer.
Had calls all the time from stores saying customers are getting shocked from touching a rack……..soooo
You trust the emt that contains the redundant wire ground, but don’t trust the wire ground because it may not be connected well? I know it’s a Union thing, but that doesn’t make sense.

Had calls all the time from stores saying customers are getting shocked from touching a rack……..soooo
You trust the emt that contains the redundant wire ground, but don’t trust the wire ground because it may not be connected well? I know it’s a Union thing, but that doesn’t make sense.
All the time huh? So you have this happen "all the time" and it's always a circuit with some compromised raceway with no wire EGC??
How many times have you actually seen that happen.. Calling BS , sorry. What type of "racks" are these?

Conduit should be installed well and supported per code REGARDLESS of if there is a wire EGC in it.

Not sure what you mean by installing or not installing a wire EGC being "a union thing". Never heard of that either.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I know you're not addressing my comments, but I'll add this anyway:
'
I am not against wire EGCs in metallic conduits. I have even run an EGC in RGS.

It all depends on the installation and environment.

I know you're not addressing my comments, but I'll add this anyway:
'
I am not against wire EGCs in metallic conduits. I have even run an EGC in RGS.

It all depends on the installation and environment.
I am also not against it, other than it often being a waste.

If you're constantly having raceways pulling apart and people getting shocked, seems pretty clear your problem is not the lack of a wire EGC, its with the poor quality raceway installation, poorly trained or bad equipment operators, and poor maintenance and a general "I don't care" philosophy that these damages get left unreported and unrepaired

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
All the time huh? So you have this happen "all the time" and it's always a circuit with some compromised raceway with no wire EGC??
How many times have you actually seen that happen.. Calling BS , sorry. What type of "racks" are these?

Conduit should be installed well and supported per code REGARDLESS of if there is a wire EGC in it.

Not sure what you mean by installing or not installing a wire EGC being "a union thing". Never heard of that either.
Go into any Home Depot and count how many pipes are damaged to the sales racks. Most of the stores I have seen where a wire egc is not pulled is in strong Union areas up north. There are some in the south, but it is rare.

Go into any Home Depot and count how many pipes are damaged to the sales racks. Most of the stores I have seen where a wire egc is not pulled is in strong Union areas up north. There are some in the south, but it is rare.
Why is there electrical run to the sales racks? You talking in like the lighting section? If they are running pipe down to the shelving from the ceiling and there are pallets stored up there, seems like the problem is a horrible choice of size and/or type of raceway, not with whether or not it has a wire EGC in it.

Never heard of this union = no EGC thing. In any case, I find it unlikely that the electrical contractor of a home Depot is making the decision of using a wire EGC or not, I bet that's already been decided by the engineer who drew up the plans. I've never done a home depot, but I doubt they are "design/build".

Status
Not open for further replies.