You did what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

mdshunk said:
I smacked a customer on the forearm hard to get his arm out of the way when he nearly touched the bus of an open panel. I felt really bad about it, and explained to him why I did what I did, and he understood. He got a nasty bruise in the coming days, I noticed. He never mentioned it. This is the part where I should pay proper respect to the safety chorus seated in the transept area and say "don't do hot work". :smile:

I was working in a hotel restuant kitchen on a live 480/277 panel - and I told all of the staff to stear clear of me - and especially "Do not touch me" there was a stain-less table behind me, and I put out caution tape on both sides while I pulled out a bad CB out of a bolt-on panel. In walks a waitress right under the tape and she touches my shoulder to say "Behind you" or something to that effect - which freaked me out and my finger slipped on my energized nut-driver and she grounded her butt to the table. When I turned around she was on top of it - horrified! And the whole kitchen staff in a chorus - "Don't touch the Electrician!"

mivey

Minuteman said:
The Kleins fell off the ladder

If I had a dollar for every time I've been smacked about the head, face, and neck by stuff left on top of the ladder...

mivey

e57 said:
a live 480/277 panel

Reminds me of another. Changing a bad ballast on 277 volt lighting. Car dealer did not want to have to cuts the lights off becuase the repair shop was full so...hot-working-time. When I started to remove the cover, the wire shorted to the cover and blew a hole in the cover and I almost took flight.

And another:
#1 (me) in the attic opening a junction box, #2 guy downstairs
#1: "Is it off?"
#2: "Yeah, go ahead"
#1 Gets the nastiest shock he can remember by getting between an open neutral on a live circuit.

LawnGuyLandSparky

220/221 said:
Generally, for obvious safety reasons, pole mounted tranformers are mounted ABOVE the secondary 120/240 lines. For whatever reason, THIS transformer was mounted below the 120/240 lines. As I brought the triplex down it sagged more and more until it came in contact with the fuse link on top of the transformer and blew it all to hell.

Wow. You do realize how close you came to death?

480sparky

During my second year appreticeship, I was working in a large state government building. I was on top of the world. "Working with the big boys on the big jobs now!" I thought.

Then I got cut down to size real fast. Foreman told me to push a fishtape through a conduit that went down out of a gutter. I returned with a 200' fishtape, and didn't even bother trying to remember which pipe he told me. I was just merrily pushing a fishtape into a conduit. Never did it occur to me that he told me it would come up in a panel on the other side of the room, just 15 feet away. I just kept pushing that fish tape.

About 150 feet in, I felt some reisitance. So I really started to push hard. Then the biggest BAM! I've ever heard, accompanied by the lights flicking off. I felt the whole building shake, as well as the fish tape jump.

Turns out, I was in the wrong pipe and had pushed the tape out into the pad-mount transformer feeding the building and shorted out across two terminals. I pulled back about 125 feet of tape rather sheepishly. (To this day I wish I had kept that fish tape as a reminder to myself.)

Two weeks later, there was another BAM!, but it wasn't me with my fishtape.... it just came out of the blue, and the whole building was off. Turns out, my little stunt with the fish tape finally did the old (installed in the 60's) transformer in and it finally shorted out it's windings. Fortunately, it was scheduled to be replaced since we were upgrading the 'lectrical service anyway, but I never did live that one down.

Any time there was a short on a job anywhere, someone would comment, "Hey, Kenny's on the job with his fish tape!"

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
CHWflorida said:
My second day on the job we went to disconnect a construction trailer. The journeyman I was working for did not know I was green. He told me to "cut the wires in the panel loose". I asked, "All the wires?". "Yes", he said. I cut the big wires first, then I cut out all the small ones that went to the breakers. I'll never forget when he asked me,"Where did you get all that wire?"

That
is hilarious!!

Minuteman said:
So, I'm running a new circuit to the MDP room. I was on an 10' ladder and using my big Klein lineman's to "bang-on" some caddy clips. Apprentice comes in and ask me to look at his work. I come back to the MDP room and move my ladder to the next spot.

BAM!

The Kleins fell off the ladder and hit me right on the bridge of my nose. I dropped to my knees and saw Tweety birds flying around my head. I got up and walked out to where the apprentice was.

"Dude, what happened to you nose?", he said. "It's on the side of your face"!

I went to the men's room, and sure enough, my nose was off to the right side. I put my thumb against it and pushed REAL HARD! Crunching sound was heard by my apprentice, and blood gushed out of my nose. I went down again from pain.

To this day, my nose leans to the right.

I almost cried just thinking about how much that probably hurt

jrclen

I was called to a job to swap the load wires on a 208 3 phase circuit breaker type disconnect. The customer had two sets of load wires in the 125 amp disconnect box, depending on which machine he wanted to run. All that needed to be done was swap the load wires. The customers maintenance man was there and was a real eager beaver. I asked him to get me an allen wrench while I went to be sure the machine was turned off. When I came back, I found the maintenance guy with the bare allen wrench in one of the line lugs which were still energized. As calmly as I could I told him to pull the wrench out. I told him what a great job he did by wearing non conductive shoes and not leaning on the panel with his free hand. It scared me more than it scared him.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Outside outlet not working and is packed with wires, so I stick my screw driver in to pry out some of the wires and POW right in my face and a piece of hot metal hits me in the cheek. What the heck? So I stick it in there again looking to see what I hit POW this time a small piece hits me just in the corner of the eye. I stand up cussing the whole time, realize that the tip of my screw driver is gone, get mad and throw it across the yard where it sticks in the fence. HO watching the whole time.

"Are you all right?"
"Yeah I'm fine"
"You don't look fine"
"Well I'm not mad that I did it the first time, what really set me off is that I was stupid enough to do it twice"
"Yeah, I was kind of thinking the same thing"

hardworkingstiff

e57 said:
I was working in a hotel restuant kitchen on a live 480/277 panel - and I told all of the staff to stear clear of me - and especially "Do not touch me" there was a stain-less table behind me, and I put out caution tape on both sides while I pulled out a bad CB out of a bolt-on panel. In walks a waitress right under the tape and she touches my shoulder to say "Behind you" or something to that effect - which freaked me out and my finger slipped on my energized nut-driver and she grounded her butt to the table. When I turned around she was on top of it - horrified! And the whole kitchen staff in a chorus - "Don't touch the Electrician!"

Oh man, that's too funny, thanks!

220/221

Wow. You do realize how close you came to death?

Uhhhh....yeah.

The 20 POCO guys that came out to take statements and pictures mentioned that quite a few times.

In cases like this people always say the same thing. "I can't believe I did something so stupid".

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I was adding a retractable drop-cord receptacle in a room over at the college, next to the five-milion-dollar radiation therapy machine. It was sensitive to dust, so I was vacuuming as I was hammerdrilling into the brick wall.

I was at a funny angle, so my ladder tipped. I decided to test out the suspended ceiling, and sure nuff, it couldn't hold my weight. I came down, the ceiling came down, and so did a ton of dust, all over their brand new machine...

I'm still employed, somehow.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
jrclen said:
I was called to a job to swap the load wires on a 208 3 phase circuit breaker type disconnect. The customer had two sets of load wires in the 125 amp disconnect box, depending on which machine he wanted to run. All that needed to be done was swap the load wires. The customers maintenance man was there and was a real eager beaver. I asked him to get me an allen wrench while I went to be sure the machine was turned off. When I came back, I found the maintenance guy with the bare allen wrench in one of the line lugs which were still energized. As calmly as I could I told him to pull the wrench out. I told him what a great job he did by wearing non conductive shoes and not leaning on the panel with his free hand. It scared me more than it scared him.

It's like watching a child run into the street and not get hurt, he has no idea what he did and we need to wash our shorts.

Reading this thread is like watching an old "Batman & Robin'' BAM , ZAP , POW, BANG, KABOOM ! This is great :)

zdog

always check voltage

always check voltage

i was doing a remodel.i always look at the panels first to see what i had to work with.noticed it was 3phase(first house i had seen with 3phase).the gc had installed a power vent in the attic.so i went in the attic to wire it up.noticed a j box with 5 unused #12 wires in it.3hots netural and ground.traced the wires to a 3 pole 20amp breaker.went back and hooked it up in the j box.was a cold day so i thought i would turn down the t stat and check it out.
when it came on sounded like a 747 takeing off, sucked off my hat and started smokeing.i had hooked it up to the high leg.

Rampage_Rick

220/221 said:
I pulled the meter and cut the drop. I carried it down the ladder holding the metallic attachment clamp in my bare hand. I was on the ground just leaning over to set it on the ground when BAM. Big green flash, hair standing up all over my body and a thunderous explosion.
I've been near a tap fuse tripping on a pole-mount transformer, and it's probably the loudest thing I've heard in person. In my case the exhaust stacks on an ice truck clipped triplex on a sagging 30-year old commercial service. When the fuse blows you're talking about a 4" bolt of lightning less than a hundred feet away.

480sparky said:
About 150 feet in, I felt some reisitance. So I really started to push hard. Then the biggest BAM! I've ever heard, accompanied by the lights flicking off. I felt the whole building shake, as well as the fish tape jump.

Turns out, I was in the wrong pipe and had pushed the tape out into the pad-mount transformer feeding the building and shorted out across two terminals. I pulled back about 125 feet of tape rather sheepishly.
I don't know which pony to root for... I think we have a tie for best story so far.

frizbeedog

Good Therapy.

Good Therapy.

I just realized I should have posted this thread in Safety.

I have been enjoying all reading all of your stories and I thank you for the humility with which these tales have been offered up. I have laughed at some almost to the point of tears, due to the way you have told your stories. The humor always sets in after the fact, due in part because I think it helps get your head around how many of these stories could have been the fine print note to a promising career. "He was a rising star in his trade untill one day he screwed the pooch. Next contestant please." I have always tried to promote saftey and make the apprentices I work with understand where the dangers are, and yet not debilitate them with fear. And too remind them to keep their head in the game, what I like to refer to as situational awareness. The sad part is, I just know that some of them won't get it untill it happens to them. There are so many ways to get your knickers knocked off in this buisness. Or should I say get your knickers soiled. An earlier response to this post said something like, "man you guys are sure brave to be admitting all this stuff." I don't think its so much that it is bravery, but rather that many of you saw an opportunity not only to have some fun, but to tell these cautionary tales in the hope that someone will be able to learn from the mistakes of others. One can only hope.

A few more of my close calls:

Me and an apprentice were in a mobile home park and had to relocate/replace a 200 amp pedestal service about 10 feet back and right to make room for the new larger home they were bringing in. Simple task and I had done many of these. Remove old service, unload the bobcat, dig power co. splice pit and a ten foot trench (I don't trust excavating subs to dig around live power lines, so I do it myself). Lay in three inch conduit for power co., set pedestal, ground it, and down the road we go. As I drove up to the lot I noticed that the pedestal was leaning over, almost to horizontal and the meter was still in the socket. I'd seen that before and knew it was going to require caution. They apparently had to do some digging to get the old home out and clip away the feeder to the home which caused the service to fall over. It's raining out so I'm by the truck donning my rain gear. Now I had always told apprentices that when we get to a job to just start moving, to start making progress. Get the tools out, get the materials ready, something man, just do something. And if you don't know what to do, ask. While I'm still suiting up I look over and see my apprentice with both of his bare hands grasping the the service pedestal trying to right it. HEY, STOP, DON'T TOUCH THAT. I was surprised by how loud I yelled. I'm sure the whole block heard me. It got his attention though because he stopped. And he had no idea why I was so mad. And to this day he most likely doesn't. He was just that kind of guy. He had no situational awareness.
When I got to take a close look at the service I noticed a nice 2" hole burnned through the side of the service. I carefully removed the cover and noticed one of the power. co. lugs had been ripped from its mount and had come into contact with the side of the can. I get out the hot gloves and hot blanket and proceed to diffuse the bomb, all the while trying to explain why today was almost his last day.

When I was an apprentice me and the journeyman were connecting two job trailers in a warehouse. And while I was stripping out the feeders to terminate them in the main breaker in one of the trailers I had had a funny thing happen. I was bending the conductor and just about to stick it in the lug when my thumb and first two fingers of my right hand contracted and squeezed tight on the end of the wire, and my teeth felt funny too. This was a new experience for me and it didn't take a degree in rocket science to know what was happening. When I finnally broke free, which seemed like an eternity, one of the workers in the trailer asked, "what's wrong, are you ok?" I assumed he determined there was something amiss due to the cloud of profanity hanging in the air above my head. Well, I had no time to answer him cause by this time I'm storming out of the trailer, and I wanted blood. I chewed my journeyman up one side and down the other, and left another cloud of profanity lingering there as well. I don't think he was expecting that. His response was, "Sorry, I thought you were done." Situational awareness. Needless to say, it was a quiet ride home. You could have heard a pin drop. Since then I have learned about lock out, tag out. My right fore arm was sore fore a week after due to the muscle contraction. It's a feeling you will never forget. If you get a chance to remember it.

And I still drop tools on my noggin left on top of step ladders too. But my nose is still straigt. :grin:

Last edited:

resistance

Stuck my non-insulated screwdriver in a hot meter (Don't ask)!
The good part: I created fireworks for the rest of the crew :grin:

The worse part: My protective glasses had metal stuck to the lenses
:roll:

splinetto

I worked with a guy who tried to jumper his meter at his house he was building the utility had power at meter can but no meter instlalled yet...so he though FREE electric...He grabbed some #10 to jumper it out..instead of hooking the load side in first he did the line and when he grabbed the wire to hook it up on the load he shorted his kleins out on the meter can..I wasnt there however my buddy said he was inside and all he heard was a HUMMMMMM......and went out and so his kleins welded to the socket...Then he didt wont the utlity to find out so he had to change out his meter out hot...Every time I see him I tell who ever Im with the story...And begin to hummm.....I made it his new middle name Terry HUMMMMM Robinson

480sparky

Rampage_Rick said:
In my case the exhaust stacks on an ice truck clipped triplex on a sagging 30-year old commercial service. When the fuse blows you're talking about a 4" bolt of lightning less than a hundred feet away.

Kind of like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.