3 phase delta question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 phase delta question

I am getting ready to install a commercial electric hot water heater. Heater specs say unbalanced three-phase delta 240vt. The building has three phase grounded delta 240vt. Do I have a problem? Please explain if there is a difference. Thanks

Originally posted by hardworker View Post
    I am getting ready to install a commercial electric hot water heater. Heater specs say unbalanced three-phase delta 240vt. The building has three phase grounded delta 240vt. Do I have a problem? Please explain if there is a difference. Thanks
    Tell us exactly what heater specs say, and whether you have corner ground delta or a system with a high leg.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

My guess is the water heater has two 240V elements, one end of each wired to a common line, other ends to other lines.
      [COLOR=RoyalBlue]I will have achieved my life's goal if I die with a smile on my face.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Smart $ View Post
        My guess is the water heater has two 240V elements, one end of each wired to a common line, other ends to other lines.
        That would fit the description "unbalanced delta" all right. And you could connect it to almost anything.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldDigger View Post
          That would fit the description "unbalanced delta" all right. And you could connect it to almost anything.
          I guess so, would even work on 480 connected to the "open end" only.

Comment

Originally posted by kwired View Post
            Tell us exactly what heater specs say, and whether you have corner ground delta or a system with a high leg.
            Grounded delta to me means a corner ground, but rembering a discussion with a POCO staking engineer a few days ago, now I wonder if that is correct.

Mods: please move to new thread if you feel it is warranted.
            Tom
            TBLO

Comment

Originally posted by ptonsparky View Post
              Grounded delta to me means a corner ground, but rembering a discussion with a POCO staking engineer a few days ago, now I wonder if that is correct.

Mods: please move to new thread if you feel it is warranted.
              A grounded system means there is a grounded conductor the typical high leg delta and corner ground delta systems are both grounded systems.

Comment

Originally posted by hardworker View Post
                I am getting ready to install a commercial electric hot water heater.
                IMO you need to get clarification from the client as to why they are heating hot water. Perhaps they don't even need the hot water heater

Sorry couldn't resist.
                Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Comment

Originally posted by electrofelon View Post
                  IMO you need to get clarification from the client as to why they are heating hot water. Perhaps they don't even need the hot water heater

Sorry couldn't resist.
                  It is a given right that all Americans can heat all the hot water they want to, needed or not.
                  [COLOR="blue"]"Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by electrofelon View Post

Sorry couldn't resist.
                    Hot is subjective. Obviously they want it hotter.
                    Tom
                    TBLO

Comment

Originally posted by ptonsparky View Post
                      Hot is subjective. Obviously they want it hotter.
                      Hotter is subjective. Referenced to what? Existing temperature or a common spec?

Derek[/COLOR]

Comment

A steam boiler at a plant I work at preheats the water in the feed tank before it is fed to the boiler. This feed tank is where condensate returns, but if it gets low enough is supplied with fresh city water. So we are heating the water before we heat it in that case.

Comment

Originally posted by kwired View Post
                          A steam boiler at a plant I work at preheats the water in the feed tank before it is fed to the boiler. This feed tank is where condensate returns, but if it gets low enough is supplied with fresh city water. So we are heating the water before we heat it in that case.
                          That is because really bad things can happen if you suddenly a dump a large amount of cold water into a hot boiler.

Derek[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by jumper View Post
                            That is because really bad things can happen if you suddenly a dump a large amount of cold water into a hot boiler.
                            yup

Comment

3 pase delta

A delta three phase high leg or corner grounded makes no difference if its a three phase heater the only time a high leg comes in to play is you are running a 120 volt circuit . if you have a corner grounded delta you do not have a high leg.

Comment

Working...
                              X