3 phase delta question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardworker

I am getting ready to install a commercial electric hot water heater. Heater specs say unbalanced three-phase delta 240vt. The building has three phase grounded delta 240vt. Do I have a problem? Please explain if there is a difference. Thanks

kwired

Electron manager
I am getting ready to install a commercial electric hot water heater. Heater specs say unbalanced three-phase delta 240vt. The building has three phase grounded delta 240vt. Do I have a problem? Please explain if there is a difference. Thanks

Tell us exactly what heater specs say, and whether you have corner ground delta or a system with a high leg.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
My guess is the water heater has two 240V elements, one end of each wired to a common line, other ends to other lines.
:)

kwired

Electron manager
Grounded delta to me means a corner ground, but rembering a discussion with a POCO staking engineer a few days ago, now I wonder if that is correct.

Mods: please move to new thread if you feel it is warranted.
A grounded system means there is a grounded conductor the typical high leg delta and corner ground delta systems are both grounded systems.

kwired

Electron manager
A steam boiler at a plant I work at preheats the water in the feed tank before it is fed to the boiler. This feed tank is where condensate returns, but if it gets low enough is supplied with fresh city water. So we are heating the water before we heat it in that case.

jumper

A steam boiler at a plant I work at preheats the water in the feed tank before it is fed to the boiler. This feed tank is where condensate returns, but if it gets low enough is supplied with fresh city water. So we are heating the water before we heat it in that case.

That is because really bad things can happen if you suddenly a dump a large amount of cold water into a hot boiler.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
3 pase delta

3 pase delta

A delta three phase high leg or corner grounded makes no difference if its a three phase heater the only time a high leg comes in to play is you are running a 120 volt circuit . if you have a corner grounded delta you do not have a high leg.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Just wait until I get Negative Entropy perfected. No more nasty old electricity to heat water, it will just sit there and get hotter and hotter.......

You can hire one master Maxwell's Demon for the house and apprentice Demon's for all of the appliances.
Point of use, on demon [sic], heating.

Status
Not open for further replies.