Replacing feeders to my shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmann

Here's my situation: My father-in-law has a workshop, totally separate from his house. The shop and house are fed separately from the same meter. (Meter --> 200amp disconnect --> junction box where the two hot wires and neutrals are split to feed the house and shop separately. The existing feeders are direct buried, not in conduit. There is a grounding conductor at the pole.) This has been the setup since the 80s.

Recently, someone drove an excavator over the lawn and caused the shop feeder to fail. Now, he's going to have the feeder to the shop replaced with conduit and new feeder cables. I am helping advise him, and a local electrician is going to do the work. I'm trying to give him a clear sense of what needs to be done (and thus how much it's likely to cost.)

Here's my question: The old feeder had 3 conductors, but I assume that the new feeder should be 4-wire, including a separate ground conductor, because the neutral and ground are bonded at the disconnect on the pole. (I wired my own house last year, and this is what we did, following the instructions of our local utility.)

If that's the case, I am assuming that the grounds and neutrals in the shop subpanels must also be separated. In the existing setup, the neutrals and grounds are on the same bus bar. Am I correct about this?

Lastly, is there any safety concern with upgrading to 4 wire feeder to the shop while the feeder to the house is still the older 3-wire? (I can't think of a scenario in which this poses a danger, but I want to make sure.)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.
This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.eminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.