How to Properly Ground a Hot Tub (NOT!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Properly Ground a Hot Tub (NOT!)

Was asked to remove the 50a GFCI panel that used to feed a (now-long-gone) hot tub. Opened it up and found the unique grounding method of using part of a neutral bar out of a GE panel (the disco is Square D HO) to tie the grounding conductors together.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hot to Ground a Hot Tub.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	2388986

The green wire is stripped and under the sheet-metal self-tapper behind the black wire....

Gee, if only they made ground bus kits for those disconnects.
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Comment

Originally posted by LarryFine View Post
      Gee, if only they made ground bus kits for those disconnects.
      And sold 'em at fine Big Box Home Improvement Centers. Like Home Cheapo and Blow's......

Comment

Originally posted by 480sparky View Post
        And sold 'em at fine Big Box Home Improvement Centers. Like Home Cheapo and Blow's......
        Can't tell if that is sarcasm or not, they do have them around here.

I somewhat don't have a problem with the GE bar used in your image, if it also has a jumper to the enclosure.

I use Square D bars in other enclosures all the time, but usually will bolt to the enclosure.
        I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Originally posted by kwired View Post

I somewhat don't have a problem with the GE bar used in your image, if it also has a jumper to the enclosure.

I use Square D bars in other enclosures all the time, but usually will bolt to the enclosure.
          The problem is the bar is PART of a GE neutral bar. What is missing is the bar itself the conductor press against. Towards that end, small conductors (like the 10s in the image) aren't held down solidly. The solid 10 from the NM cable was loose.

Comment

The problem is the bar is PART of a GE neutral bar. What is missing is the bar itself the conductor press against. Towards that end, small conductors (like the 10s in the image) aren't held down solidly. The solid 10 from the NM cable was loose.
            I thought that bar that goes through the bottom was just for mounting the bar to the enclosure.
            If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Comment

Originally posted by Little Bill View Post
              I thought that bar that goes through the bottom was just for mounting the bar to the enclosure.
              It performs that duty. But without it, the terminal screw ends up working like a guillotine in conjunction with the part shown in the image.

Comment

That is a problem.
                I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Originally posted by kwired View Post
                  Definitely sarcasm.
                  Master Electrician
                  Electrical Contractor
                  Richmond, VA

Comment

should be a strip of similar colored metal iirc....so i guess one could site a listing violation, well one good violation deserves another then >

The Gbar (@ the left) is held in by two 1/4-20's w/locks/flats/stop nuts.

The bigger wire is a 4/0 feeder, there is a lug kit (unseen) terminating it to the Gbar, a piece of #4 cu is the only ECG running into the panel .

~RJ~
                    Last edited by romex jockey; 08-03-19, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X