How to ground a service panel NOT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to ground a service panel NOT!

Todays' service call: Home inspector said the main panel in the basement wasn't grounded properly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Just GroundI It to That Pipe.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	2388994

I would say he is correct.

Roger

Comment

Electrician pointed in the general direction of the water pipe and the helper was unclear on the concept?

Comment

Originally posted by jaggedben View Post
        Electrician pointed in the general direction of the water pipe and the helper was unclear on the concept?
        I'm thinking the foreman said, "Clamp it to this pipe right here......."

Comment

Need to see the service to see what's going on. From your picture I agree with the missed the water pipe by that much, 99!

Comment

HI scores!

~RJ~

Comment

Originally posted by sameguy View Post
              Need to see the service to see what's going on. From your picture I agree with the missed the water pipe by that much, 99!
              The other end is on the service neutral/ground bar.

Comment

Is that raceway still bonded if you remove the bonding jumper in question?

May not be a grounding electrode but instead a bonding jumper for equipment grounding purposes.

May still need additional grounding electrode ran if there is none already.
                I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Originally posted by kwired View Post
                  Is that raceway still bonded if you remove the bonding jumper in question?

May not be a grounding electrode but instead a bonding jumper for equipment grounding purposes.

May still need additional grounding electrode ran if there is none already.
                  It's simply a bare ground from the panel to the conduit. The raceway goes directly to the panel. This is merely a redundant ground path. Does not attach to anything going to water pipe or electrode. I relocated it about 6" to the cold water pipe and verified the jumper at the meter.

Comment

Originally posted by 480sparky View Post
                    It's simply a bare ground from the panel to the conduit. The raceway goes directly to the panel. This is merely a redundant ground path. Does not attach to anything going to water pipe or electrode. I relocated it about 6" to the cold water pipe and verified the jumper at the meter.
                    Answered my questions I guess.
                    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Working...
                    X