Vehicle Wraps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark A.

Coppersmith, in this thread, where we were talking about marketing methods, said "In three years I've only had one person tell me my vehicle signage is what caused them to call me. Most vehicles wraps I see are so "busy" it's hard to make out the company name and phone#. I would suggest concentrating on the back of the vehicle since people will be staring at it for long periods when waiting behind you in traffic. Be simple in design. One advantage of a vehicle wrap is it will turn a used, ugly, rusty vehicle into something new-like. Works especially well on used U-Haul box trucks from what I've seen."

So I thought I'd start a thread about vehicle wraps. I agree, yes our wrap makes a "mature" E-150 look presentable, and definitely more professional.

I don't expect people to look at it while they're driving, but the hypothesis is that while we're in a residential area, people figure "If my neighbor is using them, they must not suck," and call.

I guess our graphics co had talked to Coppersmith, because the name and phone# is big. :)

Please share your vehicle wrap in this thread, if you're not embarrassed. Only ask for feedback if you can take it. Yes, I can take it. Fire away.

truck.png

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Coppersmith, in this thread, where we were talking about marketing methods, said "In three years I've only had one person tell me my vehicle signage is what caused them to call me. Most vehicles wraps I see are so "busy" it's hard to make out the company name and phone#. I would suggest concentrating on the back of the vehicle since people will be staring at it for long periods when waiting behind you in traffic. Be simple in design. One advantage of a vehicle wrap is it will turn a used, ugly, rusty vehicle into something new-like. Works especially well on used U-Haul box trucks from what I've seen."

So I thought I'd start a thread about vehicle wraps. I agree, yes our wrap makes a "mature" E-150 look presentable, and definitely more professional.

I don't expect people to look at it while they're driving, but the hypothesis is that while we're in a residential area, people figure "If my neighbor is using them, they must not suck," and call.

I guess our graphics co had talked to Coppersmith, because the name and phone# is big. :)

Please share your vehicle wrap in this thread, if you're not embarrassed. Only ask for feedback if you can take it. Yes, I can take it. Fire away.

truck.png

What I like about your graphics are the name and phone number are clearly visible. It's also uncluttered.

What I like less is, I don't know for sure who you are. If I had to guess, it's "Mel Electric, Inc.". The lightning bolt up front is cute, but if I saw you driving by I'd probably think you were "El Electric". IMO, save the bolt for the middle where it would act as a divider between "Mel" and "Electric". Or "El" and "Electric". Or "I El" and "Electric". ;)

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Is that your real phone number? Seems odd they'd give out 666 as the first three...

With phone numbers drying up because of all the cell phones why would you think 666 couldn't be used? Many places are going to ten digit dialing. 200 through 999 prefixes are all in use. 1 can't be used (100-199) because the digit 1 tells the central office that the following digits are an area code.

555 is the only exception. 555-xxxx (Like 555-TACO) is supposed to work like an 800-xxx-xxxx from anywhere in the country but it turned out to be a train wreck because none of the phone companies cooperated with each other to make it work except locally.

-Hal

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
With phone numbers drying up because of all the cell phones why would you think 666 couldn't be used? Many places are going to ten digit dialing. 200 through 999 prefixes are all in use. 1 can't be used (100-199) because the digit 1 tells the central office that the following digits are an area code.

555 is the only exception. 555-xxxx (Like 555-TACO) is supposed to work like an 800-xxx-xxxx from anywhere in the country but it turned out to be a train wreck because none of the phone companies cooperated with each other to make it work except locally.

-Hal

Initially 555, and in particular 555-1212 was used as the standard "not a number" number that could be freely used in TV, movies, radio, etc. so that nobody would be harassed by viewers trying the number they saw or heard.

JoeyD74

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Realistically you could just print Electrician as big as you can with your phone number under it and call it good. I worked with a guy years ago when I was an apprentice that would give his own card out when someone walked up to us in the van and he never got caught.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

I thought the same thing at one time. I always ask people how they found out about me. To paraphrase what I said before, nobody has ever told me they called me because they saw my truck sitting in a neighbor's driveway. However, I have been told many times that a neighbor has recommended me. I don't think there is any correlation between the two events, but I've never asked that question.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What I like about your graphics are the name and phone number are clearly visible. It's also uncluttered.

What I like less is, I don't know for sure who you are. If I had to guess, it's "Mel Electric, Inc.". The lightning bolt up front is cute, but if I saw you driving by I'd probably think you were "El Electric". IMO, save the bolt for the middle where it would act as a divider between "Mel" and "Electric". Or "El" and "Electric". Or "I El" and "Electric". ;)

+1

Mark A.

I never really noticed that before. So used to seeing it I guess. Thanks for the feedback. I can definitely see it now.

Is that your real phone number? Seems odd they'd give out 666 as the first three...

Again, this one is lost on me. I think I found it amusing the first time too, but I don't even notice any more.

I thought the same thing at one time. I always ask people how they found out about me. To paraphrase what I said before, nobody has ever told me they called me because they saw my truck sitting in a neighbor's driveway. However, I have been told many times that a neighbor has recommended me. I don't think there is any correlation between the two events, but I've never asked that question.

Yeah, I wonder if the neighbor recommendation is ever prompted by the truck. "Hey neighbor, I saw you had an electrician out today. Are they any good?" Hmm.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Yellow Cab of Tampa has two phone numbers: (813)666-6666 and (727)666-6666. Considering the number of churches around here it always seemed like a poor choice. It's definitely a memorable one.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Initially 555, and in particular 555-1212 was used as the standard "not a number" number that could be freely used in TV, movies, radio, etc. so that nobody would be harassed by viewers trying the number they saw or heard.

like...... 867-5309......

it woulda sucked to have that number then, but
now, it's worth a lot of money. people fight for
that number.

you can't BUY recognition like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WTdTwcmxyo

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Have you ever seen a Mr. Electric van? Dead simple...... bright yellow van with a name and phone number, and the website address at the bottom.

I used to drive one. It works. People would see me next door and call. People would pass me on the road and call the office. People would literally flag me down on the highway to ask if I could come out that day. Sometimes they would ask what I charged per kWh

There was nothing on the van about what I did specifically other than that there was an electrician inside it.

Keep it simple!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MAC702

I also had the first thought of: "Is that "Mel Electric?" But it only took a couple seconds to realize it had to be. However, I did have that thought.

Actually, 555-1212 was the lone exception, as all other 555-xxxx numbers were not used.

555-1212 was the number for directory assistance.

867-5309 is a classic, though!

From The Last Action Hero:
tumblr_mbyb2jsmVD1ractwko1_500.gif

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
With a name like "EL ELECTRICIAN" I would expect it to also say "Se habla Espanol". :)

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
With a name like "EL ELECTRICIAN" I would expect it to also say "Se habla Espanol". :)

Lol, funny.

I have a magnetic sign I slap over the closed door of the panel when I'm working. There are a lot of Spanish speaking tradesmen here so it's written in Spanish on top and English on the bottom.

¡Peligro! Electricista trabajando. No toque los disyuntores.

Danger! Electrician working. Do not touch circuit breakers.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Lol, funny.

I have a magnetic sign I slap over the closed door of the panel when I'm working. There are a lot of Spanish speaking tradesmen here so it's written in Spanish on top and English on the bottom.

¡Peligro! Electricista trabajando. No toque los disyuntores.

Danger! Electrician working. Do not touch circuit breakers.

What, no LOTO?

Status
Not open for further replies.