Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hydromassage tub Code reference's please

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Hydromassage tub Code reference's please


    #2
    Can you explain why you think that the hot water heater needs to be bonded?

    Regarding the GFCI behind the removable panel would be considered accessible. We install them there when the HO doesn't want a faceless GFCI on the wall.
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

    Comment


      #3
      Trevor,

      I felt the same way. I recently failed because of this.

      I was told the outlet wasn't accesible and the water heater has to be bonded.

      Thats why i thought I missed something

      Comment


        #4
        680.74 for bonding.

        Comment


          #5
          680.74 is for the required bonding of the pump to the piping that contains the recirculating water. Typically this piping is plastic so no bonding is required. This doesn't apply to the hot and cold water that comes out of the faucet to fill the tub. Sounds like the hot water heater bonding is a separate issue unrelated to the tub.
          Rob

          Moderator

          All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

          Comment


            #6
            Are you talking about a heater that is built in to the tub? :confused:
            [COLOR="Navy"]There are two kinds of people - those smart enough to know they donít know, and those dumb enough to insist they do[/COLOR].-----Margery Eagan

            [COLOR="DarkRed"]Open shop since 1988[/COLOR]

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Vinniem
              Can anyone direct me to the code reference that requires the bonding of the hot water heater when installing a hydro massage tub?
              Part VII of 680 is Hydro-massage tubs
              608.74 addresses bonding


              Originally posted by Vinniem
              Originally posted by infinity
              Regarding the GFCI behind the removable panel would be considered accessible.
              Originally posted by Vinniem

              I was told the outlet wasn't accesible
              Article 100 defines "accessible".
              Accessible (as applied to wiring methods). Capable of being removed or exposed without damaging the building structure or finish or not permanently closed in by the structure or finish of the building.
              If we followed the EI's take on "accessible""...EVERY house would fail in the kitchen (refirg, DW, GD, MW/RH), the LR (couch, TV), BdRm(Bed, night stands)...etc.

              What town was this in Vinnie?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by infinity
                680.74 is for the required bonding of the pump to the piping that contains the recirculating water. Typically this piping is plastic so no bonding is required. This doesn't apply to the hot and cold water that comes out of the faucet to fill the tub. Sounds like the hot water heater bonding is a separate issue unrelated to the tub.
                If the water heater is heating the circulating water and has metal in contact with the water (heating element?), the heater needs to be bonded together with all metal piping systems and all grounded metal parts in contact with the circulating water. Some of the units I've installed have the heater and pump already bonded together from the manufacturer.

                I am assuming that the hot water heater is a seperate componant of the tub and not the actual house hot water heater
                Last edited by benmin; 04-07-07, 02:02 PM.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by benmin
                  I am assuming that the hot water heater is a seperate componant of the tub and not the actual house hot water heater
                  I'm thinking the opposite - it IS the house's H20 heater.
                  This topic has been debated here enough, so let's move on

                  If the tub is a jacuzzi, this is a typical heater:

                  http://www.plumbersurplus.com/pdf/05152.pdf

                  ...a bond would be required as per page 2:
                  With the #8 solid copper wire provided, bond the heater as per approved local bonding codes. A bonding lug is provided on the heater.
                  You can see the lug on the bottom of the unit.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by celtic
                    I'm thinking the opposite - it IS the house's H20 heater.
                    If that is the case, it makes no sense electrically

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by celtic
                      I'm thinking the opposite - it IS the house's H20 heater.
                      Originally posted by benmin
                      If that is the case, it makes no sense electrically
                      Originally posted by celtic
                      This topic has been debated here enough, so let's move on
                      Feel free to continue the debate here:
                      Bonding metal water pipe

                      or here...

                      gas hot water heater jump or not

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Darn bully with a pocket protector....you wouldn't be so tough without that pocket protector....

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by emahler
                          Darn bully with a pocket protector....you wouldn't be so tough without that pocket protector....
                          I might be tougher...less chance that I poke my own eye out

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by celtic
                            Feel free to continue the debate here:
                            never was a debate here (with you). Just a matter of what water heater the OP was talking about.

                            I have heard it is good to get the last word with you

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by benmin
                              never was a debate here (with you). Just a matter of what water heater the OP was talking about.

                              I have heard it is good to get the last word with you
                              damn pocket protector and coke bottles glasses wearing bully he is

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X