Florida master exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutierrjg

Can anyone give advice where I can find question of fire alarm to study for the Florida master exam?
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

mgookin

Are you doing EC or EF?

I'm not saying I can find you test questions, but it would help to define that to know what you're looking for.

Mike Holt has a tremendous amount of study materials, which I believe, would include fire alarms.

gutierrjg

EC. I thought that I can find more generic questioner to practice , but I think it will be a good idea to get a book more specific to FA. I'll look at Mike Holt web site.
Thank you!

spdfreakls1

I passed this exam my second time. There are tons of book required, and you need them all. I brought a rolling cooler with all of the books to the test center. Some of the questions within the fire alarm realm may be about spot type heaters, what type of device works best for an area with smoke or dust ionization etc. Also the test may ask you how many spot type heaters you need in a building of a certain size. Get to know the NFPA 72 FA&SC book and how its formatted. There are probably at least 4 questions that come out of this book. A few I kept looking for in the NEC 760 fire alarm section then realized DUH its in NFPA72. Good luck!

peter d

I passed this exam my second time. There are tons of book required, and you need them all. I brought a rolling cooler with all of the books to the test center. Some of the questions within the fire alarm realm may be about spot type heaters, what type of device works best for an area with smoke or dust ionization etc. Also the test may ask you how many spot type heaters you need in a building of a certain size. Get to know the NFPA 72 FA&SC book and how its formatted. There are probably at least 4 questions that come out of this book. A few I kept looking for in the NEC 760 fire alarm section then realized DUH its in NFPA72. Good luck!

What was the total cost of all books required? I've heard different total costs of taking the Florida exam (books, prep courses, exam and application fees, etc) and it was upwards of $10,000. :eek:

tiger4life

Occupation
Business Manager Electrical Construction/Master Electrician
What was the total cost of all books required? I've heard different total costs of taking the Florida exam (books, prep courses, exam and application fees, etc) and it was upwards of $10,000. :eek:

I'm about to take Holts course and the exam mid March, I have to say that I hold State Maters in 12 other states and Florida is freaking crazy with all this. Talk about over regulation, most all states I walk in with a Nascla Business & law book and the NEC and I'm good to go.
Seems like this is a huge set up for alot of people to make alot of money:rant:

spdfreakls1

Briefly looking at my Amazon account (seemed to be the cheapest place to get them all) it was about $1250.00 for all the books excluding the standard books like the NEC and NFPA72. After passing the exam, I was able to re-sell most of the books back on Amazon and saw about a %65 return on my money. I am sure you will be able to the same. The first time I took it I failed, I believe, because I did not have all the books. I ordered the final 5 books (to complete the list) and did pass. It was one of the strangest tests I have taken. Lots on Fire Alarms, signal wiring, and NFPA 72 items. I wish you the best of luck let us know how you do.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

The one product we should be able to push with impunity on this web site. I strongly recommend just biting the bullet and investing lock stock and barrel in to the Mike Holt exam material, including, all of the test material the cram courses just prior to the exam. I passed the technical with only two missed questions. And the stupidity is that one of them was a direct sample question from the code book which I was warned about. I admit, I ma a good test taker, but MH made it far easier.

tiger4life

Occupation
Business Manager Electrical Construction/Master Electrician
OK update

OK update

Took the 6 day course down in Orlando which John taught, He was great and helped me tremendously with all the technical books and the Business & law. He has a great understanding of the exam and what to expect, I highly recommend this course even at the cost. My books I bought from Palm bookstore for $1250.00 and the course was $1210 and that was for the 6 days and workbooks (no DVDs). I took the unlimited technical exam the day after the class and passed, took the B&L the day after technical and passed. :cool::thumbsup: so I would be hard pressed not to suggest their course. If your only doing alarms then they do that too, half the class was limited and alarms guys. If anyone has specific questions I'll be happy to try and answer them.
I will add that I have been a Master Electrician in Alabama since 1999 and since then I have added about 12 states to the list but the reason I felt i needed this course was because FL requires all the other 11 books in addition to the NEC. Until a week before the exam I had never opened one of these books and not to mention the business & law book that is 1 foot thick and as heavy as a boat anchor. But that's where John helped me out was the books other than the NEC.

Hey even Mike Holt himself dropped by on Sunday, very dynamic guy.

Last edited:

mgookin

Took the 6 day course down in Orlando which John taught, He was great and helped me tremendously with all the technical books and the Business & law. He has a great understanding of the exam and what to expect, I highly recommend this course even at the cost. My books I bought from Palm bookstore for $1250.00 and the course was $1210 and that was for the 6 days and workbooks (no DVDs). I took the unlimited technical exam the day after the class and passed, took the B&L the day after technical and passed. :cool::thumbsup: so I would be hard pressed not to suggest their course. If your only doing alarms then they do that too, half the class was limited and alarms guys. If anyone has specific questions I'll be happy to try and answer them.
I will add that I have been a Master Electrician in Alabama since 1999 and since then I have added about 12 states to the list but the reason I felt i needed this course was because FL requires all the other 11 books in addition to the NEC. Until a week before the exam I had never opened one of these books and not to mention the business & law book that is 1 foot thick and as heavy as a boat anchor. But that's where John helped me out was the books other than the NEC.

Hey even Mike Holt himself dropped by on Sunday, very dynamic guy.

Congratulations many times over!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

peter d

Thank you Sir, the FL license is kind of like the Crown Jewel of them all

Florida is so strange to me. You have literally one of the most difficult and expensive electrical contractor licenses in the country. Yet in most areas you have no journeyman license or test and no apprenticeship/training program. The owner of the business who may never put on tools has the license but nobody else has any formal training? Explain that one to me. :huh:

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Florida is so strange to me. You have literally one of the most difficult and expensive electrical contractor licenses in the country. Yet in most areas you have no journeyman license or test and no apprenticeship/training program. The owner of the business who may never put on tools has the license but nobody else has any formal training? Explain that one to me. :huh:

They call it the sunshine tax, but when you get away with paying journeymen between 16-20 an hour basically anywhere north of Orlando, it is more profitable to be a waiter at Denny's, so requiring a journeyman's license could hurt all that cheap labor.

donaldelectrician

They call it the sunshine tax, but when you get away with paying journeymen between 16-20 an hour basically anywhere north of Orlando, it is more profitable to be a waiter at Denny's, so requiring a journeyman's license could hurt all that cheap labor.

FLORIDA is the worst or among them in paying any wages to any one .

The electrical construction trade requires Trained men to follow trained men , more than any other trade .

Florida has always been a criminal state , It is also the state where LABOR POOLS STARTED .

It is also a Third World State . If you do not travel , you will not be aware .

The number of electricians in florida that have come out from Jail is astounding .

They need the Drug Mony to Live .

I know this first hand . In the 80's they can make $280 to 320 a week working as an electrician or

sell drugs on the job and make an extra $1000 to 2000 a week .

Don

donaldelectrician

Florida at one time , Monroe County Florida had the Best Program in the Nation . A 6 Hour " j " Test that was comprehensive .

No man worked on a Job with out one man with this credential .

That was 1982- I believe .

I had one Monroe County "J" License in 1984 I believe #604 .

Florida is a criminal third world state . You have to travel to know it first hand .

Don

peter d

I think that pay scale is common across Florida, according to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics, the mean electrician pay in FL is $20.18 per hour. http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes472111.htm#st

donaldelectrician

I think that pay scale is common across Florida, according to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics, the mean electrician pay in FL is $20.18 per hour. http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes472111.htm#st

I know of an Electrician in the early 80's in Florida , who was a floor foreman i made .

Who went to work for his wife , Hanging Curtain Rods , at her biz .

She also danced the clubs .

He can make 2 to 3 X Elecrician Pay . Hanging curtain rods .

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.