OCPD Brain Freeze!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I understand.

So the 416:480 transformer is not a problem, even though uncommon?

And what about using three 240:480 1? xfmrs?
That will work just fine too, as long as you wire them to convert a 480 delta to a 240 wye, with corresponding phase shift/vector group.
More often they will be wired to convert a 480 delta to a 240 delta, which we do not need here, but either configuration is possible, depending on the result you are trying to achieve.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Possibly because the inverters have already been purchased and have a two wire 240V output?
And for a grid tied inverter which side of the transformer is the primary?

Tapatalk!

hurk27

That don't sound right. If you have a 240Y/132V system, the line-to-neutral voltage is 132V... not 240V. FWIW, I've not seen such a system... though I can see how the inverters could be that way on a standard 240/120 3? 4W system... but would you run the inverter's neutral to the panel (i.e. distribution panel, not AC combiner panel)?

Also, wouldn't the breaker then be based on 12kW/132V assuming the neutral point is grounded...???

actully it's 240/139v and very common to find this wire up on many generators and now a few transformers to allow a lower voltage grounding point insted of using a delta configuration.

sqrt3/240.748 is 139

Smart $

Esteemed Member
actully it's 240/139v and very common to find this wire up on many generators and now a few transformers to allow a lower voltage grounding point insted of using a delta configuration.

sqrt3/240.748 is 139
I was just quoting 132V value posted by GD. Didn't check accuracy... :happysad:

BTW & FWIW, the 240V is the standard... 139V would be the rounded value.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Why not simply feed every 3 inverters into a single core transformer with a 240 volt delta primary with a 277/480 or 120/208 Wye secondary depending upon what is needed?
As noted by GD, two wire connection.

Needs one side grounded for GF reference.

fossil112

Possibly because the inverters have already been purchased and have a two wire 240V output?
And for a grid tied inverter which side of the transformer is the primary?

Tapatalk!

In my world, I see the energy flow *to* the grid as primary. So, 480 is our secondary with 416 as primary side (facing inverter).

Status
Not open for further replies.