Dimming Wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dimming Wires

I know we’ve spoke about class 2(0-10v) wires not being combined in the same conduit as 120v. But two questions one that my engineer mentioned.

[LIST][*]As long as the 0-10v wire has same insulation it can be combined. This is what he said.[*]Curious as to why they make an MC cable that has the power and dimming under one jacket. Isn’t that the same as combining them in the same raceway?[/LIST]
    Attached Files

Yes the insulation has to have the same minimum rating.
    A cable is not a raceway.

Comment

Originally posted by Sierrasparky View Post
      Yes the insulation has to have the same minimum rating.
      A cable is not a raceway.
      If same insulation rating you can combined in same raceway?

Comment

You can't mix them. You can mix class 2 if you change it to class 1 and mark it as such. It can only be combined with power wires that are for that application.
        The world is round, you will get there no matter what path you take.

Comment

Originally posted by rlundsrud View Post
          You can't mix them. You can mix class 2 if you change it to class 1 and mark it as such. It can only be combined with power wires that are for that application.
          Yes I got the reclassifying part. I was told they could be mixed if the insulation was the same.

Comment

Originally posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
            Yes I got the reclassifying part. I was told they could be mixed if the insulation was the same.
            Then yes, you can mix them.
            The world is round, you will get there no matter what path you take.

Comment

If they are not reclassified they cannot be mixed no matter what the voltage rating of the insulation is. The MC with the power and control conductors in the same cable is designed so that the control conductors comply with one of the provisions of 725.136(I) and is listed for the application.
              Don, Illinois
              (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Comment

Originally posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
                If they are not reclassified they cannot be mixed no matter what the voltage rating of the insulation is. The MC with the power and control conductors in the same cable is designed so that the control conductors comply with one of the provisions of 725.136(I) and is listed for the application.
                Thanks. Which code section does it not allow to mix these even is same insulation?

Comment

Thanks. Which code section does it not allow to mix these even is same insulation?
                  Don, Illinois

Comment

Ty

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

So what's crazy to me is if you have a job that's full conduit you have to run two separate conduits to each fixture one for dimming wires and one for power. On a big job that can be a huge cost. Thanks

Comment

So what's crazy to me is if you have a job that's full conduit you have to run two separate conduits to each fixture one for dimming wires and one for power. On a big job that can be a huge cost. Thanks

Buy the luminaries with dimming systems that can be wired as either a Class 1 system or a Class 2 system. The ones that are suitable for Class 1 control circuits can have their control conductors in the same raceway with the power conductors as long as the insulation is rated for the highest voltage in the conduit.
                        Don, Illinois

Comment

Buy the luminaries with dimming systems that can be wired as either a Class 1 system or a Class 2 system. The ones that are suitable for Class 1 control circuits can have their control conductors in the same raceway with the power conductors as long as the insulation is rated for the highest voltage in the conduit.
                          All the 0-10V controlled lights I have wired up have the power conductors and dimming conductors going to the same make up box on the fixture and the dimmers have no way to separate the power and dimming wires in the junction box for the switch, so are they by default "re-classifiable"?

What does it even mean to re-classify a class 2 power supply or system?
                          If Billy Idol is on your playlist go reevaluate your life.

Comment

But the Lutron equipment that's feeding the fixtures are rated class 2

Comment

Originally posted by ActionDave View Post
                              All the 0-10V controlled lights I have wired up have the power conductors and dimming conductors going to the same make up box on the fixture and the dimmers have no way to separate the power and dimming wires in the junction box for the switch, so are they by default "re-classifiable"?

What does it even mean to re-classify a class 2 power supply or system?
                              The code permits them to be in the same box for the connections to the equipment. The code does not permit them to be in the same raceway or cable.
                              Reclassification just means you remove or cover all the Class 2 markings and wire the controls using a Chapter 3 wiring method. In that case, the control wiring must follow the same rules as the power wiring.
                              Don, Illinois

Comment

Working...
                              X