35 foot light pole, how much concrete do I pour to install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony KY

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif] I have a 35 foot aluminum light pole that has 4 bolts holes in the base of the pole. I need to know how deep and wide should I pour the concrete into the ground. I'm not going to use the light pole for a light, I'm recycling it to make a flag pole. The base bolt holes are 8 inches apart in a square. The base bolts measure 11.5 inches diagonally. I want to be able to fly "two" 3 foot by 5 foot flags from the top of the pole and I want to make sure that I have enough concrete in the ground to support the pole and the two flags and along with high winds, ect. I live in western Kentucky. I do not want to do the math, I have been on the calculating spreadsheet page and I can not figure it out. I need help. I know there is a formula and I know you have to take account of the wind on the two flags at the top of the pole.
I would think that if you knew how much concrete I would need to pour into the ground if I were going to use the light pole as a light that it would be a sufficient amount of concrete to hold two 3'x5' flags. Just guessing.
If you can help, just so I know the pole will not fall over.
Here are some of the specs of the light pole that I want to recycle into a flag pole. .
* 35 foot tall
* 25.5" Base circumference
* Bolt width or edge to edge is 8"
* Bolt circle or diagonal is 11.5"
* Two flags 3'x5'
If I can get it up in the air it is going to make an amazing flag pole.
Thanks

[/FONT]

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

Status
Not open for further replies.