No announcement yet.

New format and function not good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's clear that the natives are unhappy about this updated software. While I'm not a forum software expert and there are many vendors of forum software, I do know that vBulletin is a player. This seems to be an implementation issue rather than a flawed product and hopefully we have some folks behind this that can sort it all out.

Comment

Check out this forum that I belong to, see how you like it. Apparently uses the same software but I can't determine the version.

https://forums.jlconline.com/forums/forum

-Hal

Comment

Originally posted by hbiss View Post
        Check out this forum that I belong to, see how you like it. Apparently uses the same software but I can't determine the version.

-Hal
        It certainly looks like a vBulletln based board. The version is somewhere in the v5 area since it uses JSON syntax in the query string portion of the URL.
        like vBulletin based down

Comment

https://forums.jlconline.com/forums/foruml
          vBulletin.version = '5.2.2'; It's in the page source.

(And pasting that text in seems to have changed the font to Courier; I had to go into "source" mode (the top/right button in the formatting bar.)

Comment

190819-0923 EDT

Seems like the forum has more problems today than before. In some respects it is a mess. A return to the previous software should done. Then throughly debug the new before imposing it on the general user.

Loading a revised software version should not require 10s of hours of load time.

Create a new web site in which to do your experimenting. Leave the regular site in a working condition.

As I said before, if you were supplying software to an automotive production line, then way before now you would be out of business.

​​​​​​​.

Comment

-Hal
              Version 5.5.3
              They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
              She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
              I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

Originally posted by zbang View Post

vBulletin.version = '5.2.2'; It's in the page source.

(And pasting that text in seems to have changed the font to Courier; I had to go into "source" mode (the top/right button in the formatting bar.)
                Yes. The old version defaulted to interpreting pasted content as plain text and applying defaullt fonts and sizes to it. The new version tries to interpret all pasted text as formatted text and to preserve the format from the copy source. For the needs of this forum, that is not a good choice and the behavior should be changed if possible.

Comment

This is horrible. I’m logging out. Goodbye 👋
                  Tim
                  Master Electrician
                  New England
                  Yesterday's Technology at Tomorrow's Prices

Comment

Originally posted by tkb View Post
                    Log back in. It's working now!
                    Master Electrician
                    Electrical Contractor
                    Richmond, VA

Comment

Originally posted by tkb View Post
                      It was horrible but things are good now as Larry stated. They are still working on issues... tkb
                      They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
                      She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
                      I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

It's like breaking in a new pair of shoes-- at first, they pinch, they rub, they squeeze your toes. But after a few (?) weeks of wearing them, they feel like the best pair of shoes you've ever worn! Besides, your old left shoe had a hole in the sole and every time it rained your sock got wet!

Comment

I come here once a decade and what do I find? A bunch of whiners! Of course I don't remember what this forum looked like so ...
                          Octogenerian-Never work live!

Comment

Originally posted by g3guy View Post
                            I come here once a decade and what do I find? A bunch of whiners! Of course I don't remember what this forum looked like so ...
                            How ironic. Welcome back. Stay a while and get comfortable.

The new BBCode version upgrade just got over a major hurdle just this morning. There are still features to restore, and, I am sure, new features to be discovered.
                            Another Al in Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by g3guy View Post
                              I don't whine, I bitch.

Had you been here a week ago, you'd understand.
                              Master Electrician
                              Electrical Contractor
                              Richmond, VA

Comment

Originally posted by LarryFine View Post

I don't whine, I bitch.

Had you been here a week ago, you'd understand.
                                he will be back in ten years. it's like talking to haley's comet.
                                ~New signature under construction.~
                                ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X