Dealing with high amperages

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only way I could see making a system work would be to choose series rated breakers so the 20A/1p are rated for 65K with their upstream device.

And that can easily done, but the upstream device can't be very large. I stated earlier typically larger than 400 amp frame, but I remember now, with Siemens anyway, it's even lower than that You won't be able to go from 65k down to 10k with anything over 250 amp for the upstream Device. You can go up to 2000 amp for the upstream if you use the "H" series (22k) breakers. Again this is Siemens, I didn't check other brands for a better deal, but assuming they are similar.

JoeStillman

And that can easily done, but the upstream device can't be very large. I stated earlier typically larger than 400 amp frame, but I remember now, with Siemens anyway, it's even lower than that You won't be able to go from 65k down to 10k with anything over 250 amp for the upstream Device. You can go up to 2000 amp for the upstream if you use the "H" series (22k) breakers. Again this is Siemens, I didn't check other brands for a better deal, but assuming they are similar.

Fuses are your friend.

We often install a large 3Ø service and meter center, then break it down into 120/208V 1Ø for the apartments. The appliances work fine, but be careful about the HVAC selections. Another thing we see a lot of is a big apartment building with a meter center on each end, per exception 230.2(C).

Fuses are your friend.

We often install a large 3Ø service and meter center, then break it down into 120/208V 1Ø for the apartments. The appliances work fine, but be careful about the HVAC selections. Another thing we see a lot of is a big apartment building with a meter center on each end, per exception 230.2(C).

Looking at the Siemens charts, I am not seeing that fuses give you a "better deal"

I think those meter centers often have a triple rating

Status
Not open for further replies.