Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Occupation
System Admin
What, Is Eisenhower no longer president??? :)

Since we are on things we don't like--:). I don't like getting the non-advance screen when I apply to posts.

You can change your default editor in your account settings. Click 'Settings' in the upper right of the forum and look under 'General Settings then under miscellaneous options.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
101229-2349 EST

I find the format of the layout less satisfactory.

What does hacking have to do with a need to change the display format?

The old software was to vulnerable to hacking so it was time to move on to this new software. As far as the display format, it is simply the new softwares format, I don't think there is an option besides the settings we can play with individually.

It's a shame that someone is so bored in their life that they have to hack an electrical disscussion forum, I would have gone after something like a lawmower site. ;)

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You can change your default editor in your account settings. Click 'Settings' in the upper right of the forum and look under 'General Settings then under miscellaneous options.
Well that is not what I was getting at. When I hit "reply with Quote" I get a quick reply box and not the advanced box. I generally want the advanced box because I cannot preview posts or insert smiley's etc, without going there. Not a big deal but ...

I do appreciate what you are doing for us so please do not take any of what I say as negative but rather as suggestions to make the site easier.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Okay, I think I know what is missing. Under the old "Quick Links" there was a button for "Todays Post". Everytime you sign out, which I don't do often the entire new posts button shows nothing, even if I haven't read a thread. I don't read every thread so I think something is amiss.

iwire

Staff member
Okay, I think I know what is missing. Under the old "Quick Links" there was a button for "Todays Post". Everytime you sign out, which I don't do often the entire new posts button shows nothing, even if I haven't read a thread. I don't read every thread so I think something is amiss.

You are right the "New Posts" button is no longer in the 'quick links' but it is at the top left of the page.

webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Occupation
System Admin
What quick links would you like to have?

So far I have...
1) Link to display today's posts regardless of read status
2) Link to display the last couple days posts

I'm sure I can make any link you guys need.

raider1

Staff member
Well that is not what I was getting at. When I hit "reply with Quote" I get a quick reply box and not the advanced box. I generally want the advanced box because I cannot preview posts or insert smiley's etc, without going there. Not a big deal but ...

I do appreciate what you are doing for us so please do not take any of what I say as negative but rather as suggestions to make the site easier.

Dennis, if you right click on the "reply with quote" button and click "Open in new window" then you will open a new window with the quote in the advanced post option.

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
OK you must work the forums very difrently than I do.

My bookmark for the forum brings me to 'Todays Posts' autmatically every time.
If you sign off and sign back on you don't lose all the posts. Normally my old bookmark did take me to todays post but that is not there so....I get no new messages.

Dennis, if you right click on the "reply with quote" button and click "Open in new window" then you will open a new window with the quote in the advanced post option.

Chris

Thanks Chris-- I guess that is the backdoor method..

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation

So far I have...

That would be wonderful for me-- Thank you. I am frustrated losing the posts everytime.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

So far I have...

That would be wonderful for me-- Thank you. I am frustrated losing the posts everytime.
Try these links in the meantime, and bookmark if you like...

http://forums.mikeholt.com/search.php?searchid=1660 (Today's Posts, Newest First)
http://forums.mikeholt.com/search.php?searchid=1669 (This Week's Posts, Newest First)

Haven't quite figured out how the "go to new post" indicator works yet. In one instance the "has new post" threads titles are few and bold, but when testing the links above from Preview, all thread titles are bold and have the "go to new post" indicator...???

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Try these links in the meantime, and bookmark if you like...

http://forums.mikeholt.com/search.php?searchid=1660 (Today's Posts, Newest First)
http://forums.mikeholt.com/search.php?searchid=1669 (This Week's Posts, Newest First)

Smart those link don't help-- they take me back to a page that makes me click new posts and nothing is there if I looked at the post. They never disappeared in the previous forum. If I read them the thread title would lose the bold but still be visible. Now it disappears.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I feel like I am the only one having these issues. If I hit new posts the quick link and forum action buttons disappear however they reappear when I reply to a post. :-?
Also when I respond to a post and hit the new post thread I don't see the thread-- I have to hit forums and get the thread thru that.

Last edited:

billsnuff

not-in-kansas-anymore.jpg

Think I'll just follow Dennis around for a while til I get the hang of things. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.