NEVER trust the test/reset buttons on a GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
But as said in the other thread, people will just find a way round that and actually end up creating a more dangerous situation- if they dont have a cheater, then they will remove the ground pin (yes you arent allowed to plug in most 5-15ps into non egc gfcis anyway per 250.114, but thats beside the point), and will have eliminated any protection afforded by an egc if the mutilated appliance is ever moved to a non gfci 5-15 receptacle.
the NEC kinda stops at the end of the ckt when it comes to wiring, from there you can write all the stupid things folks do, NEC cannot stop that.

but lets start at the beginning, it's a 1- being replaced with a 5- gfi, so any notion of user creating more hazard is BS, they already had a 1- , etc.

if i see a 5- from ~10ft away i assume it has EGC. most folks at that 1ft mark while inserting their 5-15p into the non-EGC 5-15r gfi are probably not paying attention to any sticker, let alone comprehending what it means. but, does using 5-p into non-EGC'd 5-r gfi create a hazard, possibly yes, because there are some scenarios where 1- just wont trip.

ok, many things are 1-, so be it, but items that are 5-p should really have a EGC'd 5-r, and having EGC for that 5- gfi provides protections against more fault scenarios than the 1- can.

so i think its ok to swap 1- with a 5- gfi, but the EGC hole should be plugged (instead of a sticker that nobody reads, wont understand, and will eventually fall off, or plate cover replaced in future), a barbed plastic pin would suffice, so once inserted it cannot be removed, thus converting the 5- gfi into a 1- gfi, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.