Can anyone tell me anything about these breakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Rack out 4160 volt switch gear breakers made by GE. Few questions:

1) What does the current interrupting? (oil, SF6, air, ect)

2) What is the approximate age of these breakers? The gear they came out of is at least 40 years old.

3) How much would it cost to rebuild and refurbish these breakers- assuming its doable or economical?

4) Do they make new or after market replacements that will fit the gear- or is it better to just purchase new gear altogether?

Any additional info about these welcome. ;)

Attachments

• Breakers.jpg
    Breakers.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 4

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
They look like the older style GE Magneblast (air interrupted) built in the late '50's/ early 60's.
Then again they may be oil-filled. Need a closer view. Can you take pic of nameplate?
ZOG .........are you out there ?!?!

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Let me say thanks to everyone and that I owe all of you a favor now :)

@ATSman: 50s or 60s would not surprise me- this gear is very old. I will do more research on these- and will see if I can get more pics.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Let me say thanks to everyone and that I owe all of you a favor now :)

@ATSman: 50s or 60s would not surprise me- this gear is very old. I will do more research on these- and will see if I can get more pics.

Thanks. Thanks a lot. <<grumble, grumble, "punk kid", grumble grumble>>

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
If they are Magne Blast then this may be a retrofit solution:

http://apps.geindustrial.com/publibrary/checkout/DET-095?TNR=Application and Technical|DET-095|PDF

Back in those days switchgear was built to last forever :p

The wind tunnels at NASA here in Sunnyvale have Westinghouse switchgear and MV breakers that are still in service since about the same era as your stuff. (I did the original startup on the big 80' X 100' tunnel in the 70's) It just has to be continuously maintained.

Are they having problems with them operating??
On second thought, if the breakers are in good condition (contacts, operating mechanism) it might pay to have a NETA certified testing company come in and perform PM and testing to evaluate them. They may just need to be renovated.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
If they are Magne Blast then this may be a retrofit solution:

http://apps.geindustrial.com/publibrary/checkout/DET-095?TNR=Application and Technical|DET-095|PDF

Back in those days switchgear was built to last forever :p

The wind tunnels at NASA here in Sunnyvale have Westinghouse switchgear and MV breakers that are still in service since about the same era as your stuff. (I did the original startup on the big 80' X 100' tunnel in the 70's) It just has to be continuously maintained.

Thats comforting to know. I think this might really be a keep or replace debate.

Are they having problems with them operating??
On second thought, if the breakers are in good condition (contacts, operating mechanism) it might pay to have a NETA certified testing company come in and perform PM and testing to evaluate them. They may just need to be renovated.

One is having problems with the C phase opening and closing correctly- if you look at the far right one of the metal shafts are broken.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Thats comforting to know. I think this might really be a keep or replace debate.

One is having problems with the C phase opening and closing correctly- if you look at the far right one of the metal shafts are broken.

Gear this large is likely to be serviced/repaired at well below replacement cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.