American Switch Co. Heard of this panel ? H.I. failed the sale because wrong brand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
Home Inspector failed inspection for the sale because of a wide variety of brands breakers in an American Switch Co. panel. Anyone heard of this brand ? I doubt I can get these breakers. The inspector is correct, NEC requires this, right ? The home owner is asking me for suggestions, which as of today, I said 'replace the two panels." Is this the only way ? Thank you

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Home Inspector failed inspection for the sale because of a wide variety of brands breakers in an American Switch Co. panel. Anyone heard of this brand ? I doubt I can get these breakers. The inspector is correct, NEC requires this, right ? The home owner is asking me for suggestions, which as of today, I said 'replace the two panels." Is this the only way ? Thank you

It may not be the only way, but it's the best way.

Panels with a mish mosh of breaker types often contribute to my burnt electrical devices collection.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

American Switch never made any of their own breakers. They used Westinghouse, Bryant, and others of that type. You probably could "legally" use Cutler-Hammer's "classified" breakers. I think some of the panels actually listed what brand of breakers was acceptable on the spec sheet that is attached to the panel.

A Home Inspector can't "fail" a home sale. He can only report what he found and usually suggests they get a "qualified electrician" if it is an electrical problem. There are a few "Rambos" out there that try to quote code or make it appear they have some kind of authority, but they have no authority and can't "fail" anything.

norcal

American Switch never made any of their own breakers. They used Westinghouse, Bryant, and others of that type. You probably could "legally" use Cutler-Hammer's "classified" breakers. I think some of the panels actually listed what brand of breakers was acceptable on the spec sheet that is attached to the panel.

A Home Inspector can't "fail" a home sale. He can only report what he found and usually suggests they get a "qualified electrician" if it is an electrical problem. There are a few "Rambos" out there that try to quote code or make it appear they have some kind of authority, but they have no authority and can't "fail" anything.

Actually they did make their own breakers and later were part of Zinsco. Eaton's line of UL classified breakers should be OK for American Switch panels but I would contact them before doing it because need paperwork to prove it.

Technical Support Information
Questions before you buy?
877-386-2273 Opt 2, Opt 1
TRC@eaton.com
Questions on a product you own?
877-386-2273 Opt 2, Opt 1
TRC@eaton.com

https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/e...-replacement-circuit-breakers-sa00304001e.pdf

This chart does not list American Switch or Challenger panels, though.

norcal

With all the issues with defunct manufacturers, mergers & rebranding products over the years, it would be a helpful resource if there were a "sticky" listing what was UL classified for other manufacturers loadcenters, with paperwork available for downloading to prove to the AHJ that it's kosher to do so, such as letters from a manufacturer on their letterhead showing that X product was classified to be used in Y's loadcenter. I hope that members here might have information that they hopefully were willing to scan & post.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Actually they did make their own breakers and later were part of Zinsco. Eaton's line of UL classified breakers should be OK for American Switch panels but I would contact them before doing it because need paperwork to prove it.

I think you are mistaken about them making their own breakers. It is the same company that today is known as ASCO. They are part of Emerson and they dropped the switch gear and panels when they became part of Emerson. They now sell transfer switches and valves.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

They had their brand on the breakers but didn't mfg. them. Here is what was listed on Ebay that was on the panel.

The Electrical Panel from which this was taken states that this breaker is compatible with American Switch, Frank Adam, Bryant and Westinghouse The Electrical Panel States: Use Only The Following Circuit Breaker Types: American Switch Type EP, BR-D, A, MP And C Frank Adam Type A, FA-D, QP And QPH Bryant Type BR-D And BD Westinghouse Type QP And Q American Switch Company is also known as ASI and ASC

norcal

I have never seen those breakers under any other brand other then American Switch, there is one in a ITE panel for a pump for my rental that took a dump years ago, because it's off have not bothered to change it, Montgomery Ward sold AS panels too.

BTW, ASCO was Automatic Switch Company.

growler

The home inspector would have to list the mis-matched breakers because it's kind of impossible not to notice them and is probably listed as part of their visual inspection.

Now that the buyer is aware of the problem they can't complain that it was not listed or that they didn't know about it.

Whatever corrective action is taken is between the buyer and seller. They can decide to do nothing more than knock a few bucks off the sale price. Kind of like finding a dent on a used car. Some people will want a small dent fixed but me I consider it as a form of insurance ( no one ever rams a shopping cart into an already dented car).

If I were asked to correct the problem I would want to swap out the panels. That way I could give a warranty on the new work and everyone would be happy (except for the person paying for it).

Status
Not open for further replies.