URD direct burial to from house to outbuilding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

URD direct burial to from house to outbuilding

I happened upon this installation. URD with a separate THHW conductor are direct buried in a trench to an outbuilding with a main panel inside the structure. Is this the best option? Is there a USE cable with four conductors available for this situation?
    Attached Files

The THWN is fine if that is conduit all the way, but not for DB as you've indicated. I've buried a separate USE bundled up with the triplex on occasion

Yes, they make a 4 wire version of what you have but you may need to remark the cable to indicate the EG and Neutral.
    Tom
    TBLO

Comment

Note: URD is not an approved NEC wiring method but your picture indicates at least one of the conductors is USE-2 which is approved for direct burial and for use in a conduit.
      At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by augie47 View Post
        Note: URD is not an approved NEC wiring method but your picture indicates at least one of the conductors is USE-2 which is approved for direct burial and for use in a conduit.
        That is a common cabling and marking for the triplex he has pictured. The THWN is the oddball.
        Tom
        TBLO

Comment

Originally posted by ptonsparky View Post
          That is a common cabling and marking for the triplex he has pictured. The THWN is the oddball.
          agreed.. I just noticed he referenced it as "URD" and wated to make sure he realized it also had an acceptable rating
          At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Comment

Since the EGC can (in most cases) be bare copper and still be direct buried, I have no issue with using copper THWN for the EGC here.

I know some will probably disagree.

If that green conductor is aluminum, I say it needs direct burial rated insulation.
            I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Originally posted by kwired View Post
              Since the EGC can (in most cases) be bare copper and still be direct buried, I have no issue with using copper THWN for the EGC here.
              I agree.

If a GEC can be bare, I don't know why an EGC can't be buried THWN.

4 wire mobile home feeder may have been a simpler choice for this installation, but I don't know the circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow View Post

4 wire mobile home feeder may have been a simpler choice for this installation, but I don't know the circumstances.
                Around here, SH's did not stock 4/wire until 15-20 years ago (because "nobody bought it", self-fulfilling statement), so I have seen and done similar installations
                Think for yourself, while its still somewhat legal!
                Clarkesville, Georgia

Comment

Working...
                X