URD direct burial to from house to outbuilding

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
I happened upon this installation. URD with a separate THHW conductor are direct buried in a trench to an outbuilding with a main panel inside the structure. Is this the best option? Is there a USE cable with four conductors available for this situation?

Attachments

ptonsparky

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The THWN is fine if that is conduit all the way, but not for DB as you've indicated. I've buried a separate USE bundled up with the triplex on occasion

Yes, they make a 4 wire version of what you have but you may need to remark the cable to indicate the EG and Neutral.

augie47

Staff member
Note: URD is not an approved NEC wiring method but your picture indicates at least one of the conductors is USE-2 which is approved for direct burial and for use in a conduit.

kwired

Electron manager
Since the EGC can (in most cases) be bare copper and still be direct buried, I have no issue with using copper THWN for the EGC here.

I know some will probably disagree.

If that green conductor is aluminum, I say it needs direct burial rated insulation.

Cow

Since the EGC can (in most cases) be bare copper and still be direct buried, I have no issue with using copper THWN for the EGC here.
I agree.

If a GEC can be bare, I don't know why an EGC can't be buried THWN.

4 wire mobile home feeder may have been a simpler choice for this installation, but I don't know the circumstances.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
4 wire mobile home feeder may have been a simpler choice for this installation, but I don't know the circumstances.
Around here, SH's did not stock 4/wire until 15-20 years ago (because "nobody bought it", self-fulfilling statement), so I have seen and done similar installations