NM from 37 year storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
Do not recall ever seeing any code paragraph on use of old NM.

Got a few rolls of 250 12/2wg still in original boxes. Not stiff, no apparent ageing of insulation or covering

Any reason to not use this NM from 1982 - still had the price tag, $18.95 for 250 ft rolls.

norcal

Do not recall ever seeing any code paragraph on use of old NM.

Got a few rolls of 250 12/2wg still in original boxes. Not stiff, no apparent ageing of insulation or covering

Any reason to not use this NM from 1982 - still had the price tag, $18.95 for 250 ft rolls.

NM cable does not comply with the requirement that it be rated for 90 degree C, must be NM-B. IMHO, sell it for scrap. See 334.116.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
NM cable does not comply with the requirement that it be rated for 90 degree C, must be NM-B. IMHO, sell it for scrap. See 334.116.

I work under NEC 2014. This is all it says. There's no requirement that the NM be NM-B. It just can't be used where 90C wire is required. It will be fine where 60C wire can be used.

334.116 Sheath. The outer sheath of nonmetallic-sheathed
cable shall comply with 334.116(A), (B), and (C).
(A) Type NM. The overall covering shall be flame retardant
and moisture resistant.

I have pondered this before, in general for used building materials. I dont think I would use it at my house. Everything has a lifespan, do you really want to knock 37 years off from the start?

OP said it felt and looked OK. If it's been stored in the dark and not in extreme temperatures, it's probably fine. In which case I would use it.

Or you could scrap it and probably get most of your $19 back.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector

I think you mean 334.112 that requires 90 degree conductors. I would not use pre 90 degree stuff as many fixtures require 90 degree conductors.
I think most would agree that old NM would not be complaint for use today for any reason.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I think you mean 334.112 that requires 90 degree conductors. I would not use pre 90 degree stuff as many fixtures require 90 degree conductors.
I think most would agree that old NM would not be complaint for use today for any reason.

OK I see the NM-B requirement now. Scrap it if it's not NM-B.

480sparky

I seem to recall late 80s but not really sure.

Edit to add: I just looked it up. It first appeared in the 1984 NEC.

If you read it, 90° refers ONLY to 18 and 16-ga conductors. For all others, it refers to T310-13. If you look at T310-13, you'll see not everything there is 90°C rated.

The all-90°C requirement started in 1996.

peter d

I would use it, no reason to scrap perfectly good wire. It's fine for receptacles and other uses not subject to heating, not that you should be running #12 to lights anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.