• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S'mise View Post
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-08-21 08.31.32.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	2529338
    What hard-wired fire alarm system is this for? What is the purpose of the switches? I don't recognize these components.

Comment

Check out "Keystone" wiring devices. These are generic plates with standardized square holes. Inserts are inserted (!) in the holes, for all sorts of connectors, and I'm sure, lights and buttons.

Comment

Originally posted by gadfly56 View Post

What hard-wired fire alarm system is this for? What is the purpose of the switches? I don't recognize these components.
        Enable/disable zones of alarm system. Essentially to bypass sensors.
        John,

Comment

Any (ballpark) idea what "expensive" is?
          My guess is 50-100 dollars-- not sure
          They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
          She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
          I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
            I believe manufacturers can specially make it but it is expensive
            For your standard wallplates (mulberry is a favorite for custom and odd wallplates) sure, but these plates are a stupid china made decorative BS plate (no offense to whoever chose them) private labeled for a home improvement chain. I doubt anyone is getting a custom plate of this variety. Could probably machine one out of a piece of aluminum and get really close but it would probably be difficult to match the finish.

Comment

Probably the best plan is to buy a 3g decora plate, and......
              Click image for larger version  Name:	2019-08-21 11.52.26.png Views:	0 Size:	27.3 KB ID:	2529394 + Click image for larger version  Name:	2019-08-21 11.51.51.png Views:	0 Size:	5.5 KB ID:	2529395
              = close enough.
              Yeah, given the alternatives, I agree with you. From your earlier posts, I read that you have access to the decorative brushed nickel plates in a 3 gang decora, so that's perfect.
              Another Al in Minnesota

Comment

Like I said, I want all these buttons to look the same.
                There's many throughout 6000 sq ft house. They are used to enable or bypass alarm zone.
                I thought you were looking to duplicate the switches on the other plates. I don't see which switches you want to duplicate.
                Master Electrician
                Electrical Contractor
                Richmond, VA

Comment

Originally posted by LarryFine View Post
                  I thought you were looking to duplicate the switches on the other plates. I don't see which switches you want to duplicate.
                  I think the round thing in the center of his photo's loose device hanging out of the open 3 gang box is a push-button low voltage switch. The thing slightly above it is the indicator light.

Another Al in Minnesota

Comment

I'm willing to spend about $200 to get it done.
                    They are spdt push buttons and neon lights designed to mount to 1/4" holes.
                    It's doubtful I can one custom made for that amount..........

I appreciate the good advice.
                    If it is really 12V, then those are not neon lights. Neon takes approximately 60V DC (or AC peak) to conduct.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldDigger View Post
                      If it is really 12V, then those are not neon lights. Neon takes approximately 60V DC (or AC peak) to conduct.
                      If I remember, it's 90v to fire, 60v to maintain.
                      Master Electrician
                      Electrical Contractor
                      Richmond, VA

Comment

Originally posted by LarryFine View Post
                        Not duplicate, but keep each grouping looking similar throughout house.
                        (There are 9 toggle switch for lighting at this location but unrelated to top left 3g spaghetti mess of a plate)
                        That's why I haven't updated to more modern switches and led indicators.
                        Just want all plates in area to be the same.
                        Last edited by S'mise; 08-22-19, 04:57 AM.
                        John,

Comment

Good point. They're probably not neon but look similar. I've never seen it lit up as alarm system isn't powered up. It's a common Ademco alarm system with keypads but most sensors are hardwired.

It is 12v (Battery backup) so I assume indicators are too.
                          Probably a tiny incandescent lamp like a Christmas light bulb?
                          John,

Comment

Originally posted by al hildenbrand View Post
                            I think the round thing in the center of his photo's loose device hanging out of the open 3 gang box is a push-button low voltage switch. The thing slightly above it is the indicator light.
                            Exactly!
                            John,

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	white-leviton-toggle-switch-plates-r02-80700-00w-64_1000.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	2529516Click image for larger version

Name:	white-leviton-rocker-switch-plates-r52-80414-00w-64_1000.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	2529517 So, if I'm correct, you want a matching plate with three push-buttons and three 12v lights. I did a search for "sub-miniature push button switches" and found a great variety. It can be easier to then select "images: first, then "open link in new tab" to see more info. 12v LEDs are easy to find.

If you can find switches and lights small enough, you could drill the upper blank linked below for one switch and one light, and use the same plates. If you can't find them small enough, but you can find the same plate for Decora devices, you can use the lower blank linked below:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-Blank-Insert-for-Toggle-Switch-White-R02-80700-00W/203296450

Click image for larger version  Name:	white-leviton-toggle-switch-plates-r02-80700-00w-64_1000.jpg Views:	0 Size:	36.5 KB ID:	2529513

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-Decora-Blank-Insert-White-R52-80414-00W/202059798

Click image for larger version  Name:	white-leviton-rocker-switch-plates-r52-80414-00w-64_1000.jpg Views:	0 Size:	31.7 KB ID:	2529514
                              Last edited by LarryFine; 08-22-19, 05:44 AM.
                              Master Electrician
                              Electrical Contractor
                              Richmond, VA

Comment

Sorry Larry. I should've been more clear. I want to reuse original lv switches and indicators and mount them to a 3g plate that matches the other "steps" style.
                                I was hoping a 3g blank plate existed but it looks like I'm going with plan B.

Sorry for wasting your time researching them.
                                John,

Comment

Working...
                                X