Steamer Unit, Specs Forbid Fuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steamer Unit, Specs Forbid Fuses

Working on a quote for a restaurant steamer unit, 3 phase. Specs state 15 amp load, 25 amp breaker. States NOT to use fuses. We had 1st planned to use existing 40 amp ckt and a fusible disconnect to provide 25 amps. This would save cost of new 3 phase I Line shunt trip breaker.

I don't recall ever seeing fuses specifically prohibited on any equipment. Has anyone seen this before?
    Yes, I'll be happy to do a first class job for less than anyone else and take a dollar a week for 10 years.

No, I’ve not seen that on such equipment. It used to be common for HVAC equipment to require fuses!

But, manufacturer’s instructions must be adhered to per code. Maybe they want to minimize the possibility of single phasing.?

Comment

couldnt you use the existing 40 amp circuit then use a 3p 25a breaker in an enclosure in lieu of the fused disconnect? I recall Square D making an enclosure for a single 3 pole QO breaker.

Comment

They probably don't want a single fuse to blow and and then the unit single phases. If there is a fault they want it OCPD to simultaneously open across all three phases.
        Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

Agree with Todd. Keep the 40a shunt-trip and add a separate 25a breaker at the equipment.
          Master Electrician
          Electrical Contractor
          Richmond, VA

Comment

Originally posted by jmellc View Post
            Working on a quote for a restaurant steamer unit, 3 phase. Specs state 15 amp load, 25 amp breaker. States NOT to use fuses. We had 1st planned to use existing 40 amp ckt and a fusible disconnect to provide 25 amps. This would save cost of new 3 phase I Line shunt trip breaker.

I don't recall ever seeing fuses specifically prohibited on any equipment. Has anyone seen this before?

Have seen it on Unimac commercial washers, so in 1 case someone just stuck 1/2" copper pipe in the fuse clips.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd0x1 View Post
              couldnt you use the existing 40 amp circuit then use a 3p 25a breaker in an enclosure in lieu of the fused disconnect? I recall Square D making an enclosure for a single 3 pole QO breaker.
              Got calls out to price that option too.
              Yes, I'll be happy to do a first class job for less than anyone else and take a dollar a week for 10 years.

Comment

Working...
              X