Steamer Unit, Specs Forbid Fuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Working on a quote for a restaurant steamer unit, 3 phase. Specs state 15 amp load, 25 amp breaker. States NOT to use fuses. We had 1st planned to use existing 40 amp ckt and a fusible disconnect to provide 25 amps. This would save cost of new 3 phase I Line shunt trip breaker.

I don't recall ever seeing fuses specifically prohibited on any equipment. Has anyone seen this before?

retirede

No, I’ve not seen that on such equipment. It used to be common for HVAC equipment to require fuses!

But, manufacturer’s instructions must be adhered to per code. Maybe they want to minimize the possibility of single phasing.?

Todd0x1

couldnt you use the existing 40 amp circuit then use a 3p 25a breaker in an enclosure in lieu of the fused disconnect? I recall Square D making an enclosure for a single 3 pole QO breaker.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
They probably don't want a single fuse to blow and and then the unit single phases. If there is a fault they want it OCPD to simultaneously open across all three phases.

norcal

Working on a quote for a restaurant steamer unit, 3 phase. Specs state 15 amp load, 25 amp breaker. States NOT to use fuses. We had 1st planned to use existing 40 amp ckt and a fusible disconnect to provide 25 amps. This would save cost of new 3 phase I Line shunt trip breaker.

I don't recall ever seeing fuses specifically prohibited on any equipment. Has anyone seen this before?

Have seen it on Unimac commercial washers, so in 1 case someone just stuck 1/2" copper pipe in the fuse clips. :(

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
couldnt you use the existing 40 amp circuit then use a 3p 25a breaker in an enclosure in lieu of the fused disconnect? I recall Square D making an enclosure for a single 3 pole QO breaker.

Got calls out to price that option too.

Status
Not open for further replies.