Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spa disconnect mounting

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Spa disconnect mounting

    Hi Everyone,
    I trust everyone is having a good day so far. I am mounting a spa disconnect on the outside wall near the spa. The wall is vinyl siding and the house is not plywood it’s that wallboard type covering, 👎 I normally mount disconnects with toggle bolts on this type sheathing. Does anybody else have a better way of doing this or a good type of fastener that you can recommend. The smaller the hole in the vinyl the better. Thanks for all the help. Have a wonderful rest of the day.


    Jim

    #2
    I would use a small hole-saw and these:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	81TJctNxIfL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	2547448
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

    Comment


      #3
      That’s an awesome idea. Thanks.

      jim

      Comment


        #4
        This is by Arlington-- I think they have several variations on this theme. Click image for larger version

Name:	Arlington Mounting Plate.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	2547473

        Comment


          #5
          Why are these better than a standard toggle. The ones I use only need a 1/2" hole
          They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
          She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
          I can't help it if I'm lucky

          Comment


            #6
            BTW, about 25 years ago we did a house with vinyl siding--- Nothing behind the vinyl...good thing I asked about it.. We had to block wherever we had a light. Even the flood lights in the eaves had to be blocked
            They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
            She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
            I can't help it if I'm lucky

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
              Why are these better than a standard toggle. The ones I use only need a 1/2" hole
              Read the front of the box in the pic above. The advantages are listed.

              There are also excellent for mounting TV's on walls with steel studs.
              Master Electrician
              Electrical Contractor
              Richmond, VA

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by LarryFine View Post

                Read the front of the box in the pic above. The advantages are listed.

                There are also excellent for mounting TV's on walls with steel studs.
                I am aware of the box info. I assumed they cost more and wondered why they would be worth it for the op's application
                They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
                She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
                I can't help it if I'm lucky

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Dennis Alwon View Post

                  I am aware of the box info. I assumed they cost more and wondered why they would be worth it for the op's application
                  These toggles are much easier to use than standard toggles, especially if you have 4 or more holes. You drill the hole, insert the toggle, pull the toggle tight with the flange, toggle stays in place on its own. You can install all the toggles before mounting the box. You can usually remove the box/reinstall and the toggle will stay in place inside the open space without falling down. Since they stay in place you don't have to hold the box and pull to put pressure on the toggle while tightening. They really help out with heavy boxes or panels.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Larry,
                    I used the toggles today. They worked flawlessly. I liked the fact a plastic piece, kind of like a grommet, filled the 1/2 hole and guided the screw onto the toggle. I will definitely keep these on my truck. Thanks again.

                    Jim

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by jksmith82 View Post
                      Larry,
                      I used the toggles today. They worked flawlessly. I liked the fact a plastic piece, kind of like a grommet, filled the 1/2 hole and guided the screw onto the toggle. I will definitely keep these on my truck. Thanks again.

                      Jim
                      That's why we're here.
                      Master Electrician
                      Electrical Contractor
                      Richmond, VA

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X