Exit light battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

acbert

I need to know the possible problem of installing the wrong size battery in an LED EXIT sign. The sign in question does not have a battery in it, but has a test button and receptacle for a battery.

I simply took a battery out of a NEW exit light and put it in this one. The battery was a two cell 2.4volt 800 milliamp. I have no way of knowing what battery was originally installed in the unit.

It seems to work fine. The test switch when pressed keeps the led's on (prior to installing the battery the led's went out when the test switch was pushed).

Is this ok? Any potential danger if this is the wrong voltage battery? What if it's suppose to have a 4.8volt 4-cell battery?

Just need to put my mind at ease or remove this battery if it will cause a potential problem.

Thanks

iwire

Staff member
The most likely issue is that the charger will not work with the battery ether under or over charging it.

Pretty sure I can get a complete new battery back up exit sign for about $15.00, I would just replace it.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It seems to work fine. The test switch when pressed keeps the led's on (prior to installing the battery the led's went out when the test switch was pushed).

Just need to put my mind at ease or remove this battery if it will cause a potential problem.

Thanks

If you can get a manufacturer's name and part number off the old sign, there is a good chance that an Internet search will turn up the specs for the battery it needs.

If the unit was designed for a 4.8 volt NiCad battery, I doubt that it the LEDs would work at all, with a 2.4V battery. At best they would be dim. But as iwire said, there are quite a few battery chemistries and sizes which could lead to charging problems even if the unit appears to work, and if you cannot get the information, replacing the whole sign will get you a new battery included, possibly for less than you would pay for just the battery.

Last edited:

acbert

Thanks Goldigger & iwire. When I put the battery in and pushed the test switch the LED's lit up pretty much like normal so based on what you said I doubt it requires a 4.8v battery. Sounds like I'm OK. I appreciate the replacement option but this is a customer of mine who will take forever to replace a unit (they won't allow anyone to do electrical work except their maintenance people). ...and yes, they will pay about the same for the battery as they would for a whole new unit.

iwire

Staff member
So the only potential problem is the battery will go bad? No fire issues?

I can't say, I am not a mismatched battery expert.

All I can tell you for sure is that I would not put a battery in an exit sign that was not the correct one.

Volta

So the only potential problem is the battery will go bad? No fire issues?

In support of what others have mentioned here, I would certainly want to know it is absolutely the correct battery. Otherwise the "fire issue" may be that when a fire exists in the building, and your legally required exit sign does not stay illuminated for say, 90 minutes, people could die from a fire. Sure, probably not. But maybe . . .

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
In support of what others have mentioned here, I would certainly want to know it is absolutely the correct battery. Otherwise the "fire issue" may be that when a fire exists in the building, and your legally required exit sign does not stay illuminated for say, 90 minutes, people could die from a fire. Sure, probably not. But maybe . . .
Or, of course, there is the unlikely, but possible consequence that the battery may be the ignition source for the fire. :)(Not likely with NiCad, but if the sign used a Lithium battery a lot worse things might happen.)

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I simply took a battery out of a NEW exit light and put it in this one. The battery was a two cell 2.4volt 800 milliamp. I have no way of knowing what battery was originally installed in the unit.

Thanks

I have a dumb question for you.;)

If you had a new exit light that you took the battery out of, why didn't you just install the new light instead of "parts swapping" and worrying about if it was the right part?:?

mgookin

This is an Exit Sign we're talking about. That's a Life Safety issue. You are a professional fire service tech.

When there's a dead body in there and the state fire marshal opens up that exit sign, do you really think it's prudent that he finds the wrong battery? What happens when a forensic investigator hired by a wrongful death attorney opens it up?

You have not only volts and amps but mAh which determines how long it stays lit.

Find the model number and find the instruction sheet/ data sheet. Or call the manufacturer. Or spend the $15.

It's not worth anything less. We're talking about human life.

acbert

Thanks for everyone's input.

Tomorrow morning I will visit this customer and try to determine the correct battery for this unit. Unfortunately there was no battery in the unit so I'll try and get a model number and go from there. Not sure if this unit ever had a battery in it but it has the option of having one.

If the correct replacement battery can not be determined and installed, I will remove the battery I installed from the unit, provide the customer with a replacement sign, and have them sign a service report that states that this sign does NOT have battery backup and that they need to replace it with the Exit Sign provided.

Thanks again for everyone's input. I'll let you know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.