Do I really need a subpanel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My yard is behind my office and does not have a separate service enclosure or subpanel. I want to install 3 LED floodlights and two or three GFI receptacles. The distance between the panel and the end of the proposed conduit run is approximately 300'. Ive seen several diagrams with subpanels installed at 100' or more.

Do I need to install a subpanel or can I run #8 conductors from a 30A breaker in the existing panel? The proposed receptacles would be approx 100' from the existing panel and the LED flood lamps would be installed approx 300' from the existing panel.

I've installed overhead street lighting and other devices per plans and specs at or near intersections with distances up to 350' from the service enclosure with #10 conductors.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.