Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cat6 Game changer conduit fill

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Cat6 Game changer conduit fill

    I was awarded a contract to instal a RMC raceway system in a self storage campus for cameras. After being awarded the contract, the customer specification changed to include several of the longer runs in “game changer” cat6, which has a diameter of .305 inches

    300’ of the raceway will have 3 standard wet rated cat5 cables and 2 each of the .305” “game changer” cable. I’m trying to calculate if those 5 cables will fit in a 1” galvanized rigid conduit.

    #2
    I believe there are Cat 6 cables with thinner insulation that would not fill up as much.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by PaulMmn View Post
      I believe there are Cat 6 cables with thinner insulation that would not fill up as much.
      I understand however this cable is rated to Cary PoE+ 660 feet.

      That’s why they call it “game changer” LOL

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by five.five-six View Post
        I understand however this cable is rated to Cary PoE+ 660 feet.

        That’s why they call it “game changer” LOL
        Are you just doing the cable runs and someone else is doing the system? I would hope so as this violates the max lengths for both ethernet and POE. There is no for sure way to know if this will even work.

        Comment


          #5
          Don't you worry more about the pulling tension on those cables vs wiil they fit?
          Tom
          TBLO

          Comment


            #6
            Interesting stuff:
            In a standards-based Ethernet world, 4 pair twisted
            copper cabling is limited to 100m based on acceptable
            Ethernet performance levels. Please note that this is
            the maximum distance for a transmission limited by
            the 802.3 Ethernet standard. However, distances can
            be (and are) exceeded by application based cabling.

            ...

            Enter the patent pending, award winning
            GameChanger cable. The GameChanger cable was
            designed to support 1080p video and PoE+ over
            extended distances. The GameChanger cable fully
            supports 850’ with PoE+ without repeaters at
            10Mb/s and is UL verified to support 200m with PoE+
            support at 100Mb/s and 1000Mb/s.
            http://www.paigedatacom.com/files/Ga...te%20Paper.pdf

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by ptonsparky View Post
              Don't you worry more about the pulling tension on those cables vs wiil they fit?
              I'm with you on that.

              Also, since this is all low voltage, article 300 requirements, including conduit fill don't apply, right?

              Comment


                #8
                I'd probably go to the shop and experiment instead of trying to calculate it at a desk. You could probably use 14/3 NM cable or something similar to stand in for the GameChanger if you don't have any handy.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
                  I'd probably go to the shop and experiment instead of trying to calculate it at a desk. You could probably use 14/3 NM cable or something similar to stand in for the GameChanger if you don't have any handy.

                  Closest thing I can find in the tables is #4THHN.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by texie View Post
                    Are you just doing the cable runs and someone else is doing the system? I would hope so as this violates the max lengths for both ethernet and POE. There is no for sure way to know if this will even work.

                    Right, it’s not IEEE compliant.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by gadfly56 View Post
                      I'm with you on that.

                      Also, since this is all low voltage, article 300 requirements, including conduit fill don't apply, right?
                      Article 300 is worried about heat buildup.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by ptonsparky View Post
                        Don't you worry more about the pulling tension on those cables vs wiil they fit?
                        IMO, that’s part of if they will fit.

                        with a tugger, I could get quite a few of them to fit LOL

                        Comment


                          #13
                          This outfit has used me on several projects

                          they say they have used this cable many times with no issue.

                          My contract doesn’t require the cameras work, just the raceway installation and the cable installation.

                          they are doing all the terminations.

                          Originally posted by MAC702 View Post

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by five.five-six View Post
                            I was awarded a contract to instal a RMC raceway system in a self storage campus for cameras. After being awarded the contract, the customer specification changed to include several of the longer runs in “game changer” cat6, which has a diameter of .305 inches

                            300’ of the raceway will have 3 standard wet rated cat5 cables and 2 each of the .305” “game changer” cable. I’m trying to calculate if those 5 cables will fit in a 1” galvanized rigid conduit.
                            You don't have any of this wire or something similar sized you can shove in a 1" nipple, scrap piece of pipe, elbow, etc and see for yourself?

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by five.five-six View Post
                              I understand however this cable is rated to Cary PoE+ 660 feet.

                              That’s why they call it “game changer” LOL
                              Bandwidth certified out to 660'? Thats double the normal 100 meters.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X