Cat6 Game changer conduit fill

Status
Not open for further replies.

five.five-six

I was awarded a contract to instal a RMC raceway system in a self storage campus for cameras. After being awarded the contract, the customer specification changed to include several of the longer runs in “game changer” cat6, which has a diameter of .305 inches

300’ of the raceway will have 3 standard wet rated cat5 cables and 2 each of the .305” “game changer” cable. I’m trying to calculate if those 5 cables will fit in a 1” galvanized rigid conduit.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
I believe there are Cat 6 cables with thinner insulation that would not fill up as much.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I understand however this cable is rated to Cary PoE+ 660 feet.

That’s why they call it “game changer” LOL

Are you just doing the cable runs and someone else is doing the system? I would hope so as this violates the max lengths for both ethernet and POE. There is no for sure way to know if this will even work.

MAC702

Interesting stuff:
In a standards-based Ethernet world, 4 pair twisted
copper cabling is limited to 100m based on acceptable
Ethernet performance levels. Please note that this is
the maximum distance for a transmission limited by
the 802.3 Ethernet standard. However, distances can
be (and are) exceeded by application based cabling.

Enter the patent pending, award winning
GameChanger cable. The GameChanger cable was
designed to support 1080p video and PoE+ over
extended distances. The GameChanger cable fully
supports 850’ with PoE+ without repeaters at
10Mb/s and is UL verified to support 200m with PoE+
support at 100Mb/s and 1000Mb/s.

http://www.paigedatacom.com/files/GameChanger White Paper.pdf

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Don't you worry more about the pulling tension on those cables vs wiil they fit?

I'm with you on that.

Also, since this is all low voltage, article 300 requirements, including conduit fill don't apply, right?

MAC702

I'd probably go to the shop and experiment instead of trying to calculate it at a desk. You could probably use 14/3 NM cable or something similar to stand in for the GameChanger if you don't have any handy.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I was awarded a contract to instal a RMC raceway system in a self storage campus for cameras. After being awarded the contract, the customer specification changed to include several of the longer runs in “game changer” cat6, which has a diameter of .305 inches

300’ of the raceway will have 3 standard wet rated cat5 cables and 2 each of the .305” “game changer” cable. I’m trying to calculate if those 5 cables will fit in a 1” galvanized rigid conduit.

You don't have any of this wire or something similar sized you can shove in a 1" nipple, scrap piece of pipe, elbow, etc and see for yourself?

five.five-six

Bandwidth certified out to 660'? Thats double the normal 100 meters.
Cat6 is rated for 10gbps. I’m looking for a camera that needs that much.

If you need 10gbps, I’d use fiber.

I’d have to look it up but I think you get 1gbps over 660 feet which will be sufficient for a slew, a plethora and a cornucopia of cameras

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
POE is getting ridiculous. It started out to supply "phantom" power to ethernet connected devices that needed low amounts of power- like phones and access points that would otherwise need local power from a wall wart, which would often be inconvenient.

Now these people are looking for ways for it to handle gigawatts to power a building full of lighting or carry power way beyond what ethernet is capable of. Obviously they haven't taken the time to understand the common (and IMO better) approaches to this. Like ethernet control of conventionally powered lighting or fiber with an integral pair of power conductors.

-Hal

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

40% fill of 1" rigid is 4.85 of the 0.305 diameter cables.

five.five-six

POE is getting ridiculous. It started out to supply "phantom" power to ethernet connected devices that needed low amounts of power- like phones and access points that would otherwise need local power from a wall wart, which would often be inconvenient.

Now these people are looking for ways for it to handle gigawatts to power a building full of lighting or carry power way beyond what ethernet is capable of. Obviously they haven't taken the time to understand the common (and IMO better) approaches to this. Like ethernet control of conventionally powered lighting or fiber with an integral pair of power conductors.

-Hal

One PoE port can very easily supply 35 watts to a 2X4 troffer fixture. That fixture can be optioned with cameras, occupancy sensors, natural light sensors, speakers, thermostat sensors etc.. It makes a lot of sense to do PoE LED lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.