Rg6 & Cat5

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Does anyone have any information as to how long RG6 and CAT5 runs can be before voltage drop type problems arise? I'm working on a condo project and a couple of the units will have homeruns approaching 220'. I've upsized the power feeders to compensate but I'm not sure about the phone and catv runs.

dereckbc

Staff member
First Voltage drop is the wrong terminology for RG-6 and CATX cables. Signal loss expressed in decibels is what your are referring too.

Unless you are installing the CAT-6 to meet a standard like 568A don't worry about it. IF you are, then you are in way over your head and need to sub it out. For the most part, there shouldn't be a problem if you keep the runs under 300-feet.

For RG-6, again nothing you can do about it, shouldn't be a problem anyway.

FWIW, if there were a problem, the solution is equipment like amplifiers, modems, and repeaters. Not something you need to worry about.

RG 6 Loss

RG 6 Loss

The RG6 is a coaxial cable that is frequency dependant. For most usage around the general rule is about 3 db per 100 ft. (Which is about 1/2 the transmitted power.) It is best to keep it as "short" as possible. They also make "better" cable with lower losses. RG 213, etc...

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I'm assuming that the CAT5 you are running is for phone and the coax is for cable TV.

I wouldn't run CAT5 for phone for that length. It won't bother the dialtone but it could cause problems with DSL because of the tight twists. Better to use CAT3.

220 feet of RG/6 is a bit much also. At 750Mhz the loss is quite high and unnecessary. The thing to do is to use "the next larger" cable which is a RG/11 size. The cable company should be willing to help you out with this design issue and supply the cable because I doubt you will be able to find it.

-Hal

DGME

You can run CAT 5/5E up to 325' and still maintain 100Mbps. I talked to friend that works for Embarq and all they run is CAT-5. DSL will work just fine on it.

stickboy1375

hbiss said:
I'm assuming that the CAT5 you are running is for phone and the coax is for cable TV.

I wouldn't run CAT5 for phone for that length. It won't bother the dialtone but it could cause problems with DSL because of the tight twists. Better to use CAT3.

220 feet of RG/6 is a bit much also. At 750Mhz the loss is quite high and unnecessary. The thing to do is to use "the next larger" cable which is a RG/11 size. The cable company should be willing to help you out with this design issue and supply the cable because I doubt you will be able to find it.

-Hal

yeh run cat 3 then when they want a network (you are) out of luck.... call the manufacture and see what the suggest...

{Moderator’s Note: Edited to remove inappropriate language.}

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mkoloj

stickboy1375 said:
yeh run cat 3 then when they want a network your **** out of luck.... call the manufacture and see what the suggest...

If you were to run Cat-whatever for the phone and then later on want to utilize the cable for an ethernet connection, what do you propose to use for the phone at that point?

stickboy1375

mkoloj said:
If you were to run Cat-whatever for the phone and then later on want to utilize the cable for an ethernet connection, what do you propose to use for the phone at that point?

I run into too many jobs where the Home Owner wants internet, and they only have one cat5 run to a room, so I suggest they get a cordless and I use the cat5 for internet, I wasn't trying to say cat 3 was a bad idea... sorry for the above post...

Last edited:

mdshunk

With the popularity of Cat5e, I actually pay more for Cat3 than Cat5e. For that reason, I run Cat5e under every circumstance (unless greater is spec'd).

hbiss

Occupation
EC
yeh run cat 3 then when they want a network your shit out of luck....

Yeah right, while you are at it run CAT5 to the thermostat, CAT5 to the doorbell, CAT5 to the phone jack next to the little table in the hall. Never know when they will want to put a computer in one of those places...

I think it is pretty much the standard...

WHAT standard??

We stopped stocking cat3 because so many builders spec the cat 5e now...

Since when did builders become wiring experts? Isn't that your job?

With the popularity of Cat5e, I actually pay more for Cat3 than Cat5e.

That's because either you are using junk 5e or you don't buy from the right places. Have you priced PLENUM 5e lately? Compare that to PLENUM Cat3.

On top of all of this we are seeing less and less residential network wiring installations. With the proliferation of notebook computers nobody wants to be tied to a cable. Wireless is the what people want now.

-Hal

mdshunk

hbiss said:

That's because either you are using junk 5e or you don't buy from the right places. Have you priced PLENUM 5e lately? Compare that to PLENUM Cat3.
Didn't mean to get you so wound up. I was only making a simple statement of fact, with regard to what I pay. I use Belden brand mostly. Sometimes Hitachi cable, but generally Belden. I'm pretty sure that they're both pretty good. In any event, they are all rated to the same spec. Need only riser cable for most of my work. Havn't priced plenum rated in a spell.

stickboy1375

hbiss said:

Yeah right, while you are at it run CAT5 to the thermostat, CAT5 to the doorbell, CAT5 to the phone jack next to the little table in the hall. Never know when they will want to put a computer in one of those places...

WHAT standard??

On top of all of this we are seeing less and less residential network wiring installations. With the proliferation of notebook computers nobody wants to be tied to a cable. Wireless is the what people want now.

-Hal

Umm last I checked cat 3 only has 2 pair, so internet is out of the question, don't even know what your talking about... good bye..

stickboy1375

hbiss said:

WHAT standard??

-Hal

Umm last I checked cat 3 only has 2 pair, so internet is out of the question, don't even know what your talking about... good bye.. and no wireless is not what they want... too slow, thanks for your input... why would you run cat5 to a t-stat? you need 18 awg, and yes I do run it to doorbell for a intercom, get with the program... are you 80 years old or somthing... probably have a yankee screwdriver...

hbiss

Occupation
EC
Didn't mean to get you so wound up...

Nah, I know you didn't. Don't mean to wind anybody up myself either but unfortunately there are none of those smiley faces here to punctuate my sarcasm.

-Hal

stickboy1375

hbiss said:
Didn't mean to get you so wound up...

Nah, I know you didn't. Don't mean to wind anybody up myself either but unfortunately there are none of those smiley faces here to punctuate my sarcasm.

-Hal
oh sorry... everyone is entitled to thier opinion, I just don't agree, so don't ever take offense to a comment I make or suggest... it's just my personallity.. sometimes I react without thinking... but we're all here to learn correct? so hopefully we all can come out with something...

hbiss

Occupation
EC
Umm last I checked cat 3 only has 2 pair, ... don't even know what your talking about... good bye.

Umm, even us geezers know that CAT3 can be had in anything from 1 pair to multiples of 25 pair. That's because we were around before CAT anything and 'puters.

...and no wireless is not what they want... too slow, thanks for your input...

Too slow for what? Surfing the net? Most broadband providers give new subscribers wireless routers along with the modem. Nobody is going to wire up homes anymore.

Why would you run cat5 to a t-stat? you need 18 awg, and yes I do run it to doorbell for a intercom, get with the program...

I don't run CAT5 to a t-stat, that comes for comments from others here and on other electrical boards, along with doorbells and a lot of other stuff. That's one of my peeves. CAT5 has become the universal LV wire not because it needs to be CAT5 but because people are too lazy to use the right stuff and supply houses stock what contractors ask for.

Are you 80 years old or somthing... probably have a yankee screwdriver...

Where are those smiley faces?

-Hal

stickboy1375

hbiss said:
Umm last I checked cat 3 only has 2 pair, ... don't even know what your talking about... good bye.

Umm, even us geezers know that CAT3 can be had in anything from 1 pair to multiples of 25 pair. That's because we were around before CAT anything and 'puters.

...and no wireless is not what they want... too slow, thanks for your input...

Too slow for what? Surfing the net? Most broadband providers give new subscribers wireless routers along with the modem. Nobody is going to wire up homes anymore.

Why would you run cat5 to a t-stat? you need 18 awg, and yes I do run it to doorbell for a intercom, get with the program...

I don't run CAT5 to a t-stat, that comes for comments from others here and on other electrical boards, along with doorbells and a lot of other stuff. That's one of my peeves. CAT5 has become the universal LV wire not because it needs to be CAT5 but because people are too lazy to use the right stuff and supply houses stock what contractors ask for.

Are you 80 years old or somthing... probably have a yankee screwdriver...

Where are those smiley faces?

-Hal

Wireless is too slow and UNSAFE, and yes cat5, believe it or not is required with some types of intercoms, and no it's not the universal LV wire, only for required "NEW TECHNOLOGY" equipment...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.