This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

emf problem

A customer of mine bought a emf meter and believes there house is hurting them. the source of the emf seems to be the cable. i turned off the power to the whole house, same problem. i disconnected the cable from the house the problem still exists. i removed the water meter and jumper, the problem disappears. they sell couplers that isolates the house from the meter, but that is a hazard. any ideas?

that you alex

Originally posted by Trouyano
    A customer of mine bought a emf meter and believes there house is hurting them. the source of the emf seems to be the cable. i turned off the power to the whole house, same problem. i disconnected the cable from the house the problem still exists. i removed the water meter and jumper, the problem disappears. they sell couplers that isolates the house from the meter, but that is a hazard. any ideas?

that you alex
    What cable are you talking about? Cable TV?

I am suspicious of the idea that low level EMF fields can be harmful. There is little in the way of actual evidence to support that contention.

It may be that the EMF is coming from an unbalanced neutral where some neutral current is flowing through the jumper and/or water meter housing. I am not real sure there is anything you can do about it, but you may be able to invoke 250.6(B).
    Bob

Comment

any ideas?

Just one, and it is going to come across as being disrespectful of your customer. Please forgive that. My idea is to tell "Chicken Little" to get rid of the EMF meter; the sky is not, in fact, falling down.
      Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
      Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Comment

Originally posted by petersonra
        There is little in the way of actual evidence to support that contention.

OK. He said it nicer than I did. :smile:
        Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
        Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Comment

i ordered a good quality emf meter , but i think the problem is rf.

Comment

The field is because the cable shield is required by the code to be connected in parallel with the grounded service conductor. This results in some grounded conductor current flowing on the cable shield and generates the EMF.
            Don, Illinois
            (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Comment

Hi,

you should also switch off every cell phone, take out the batteries of cordless telephones, switch off the main circuit breakers so that the whole house is off energy.

If you still receiving a signal look outside, if there`s a neighbour who does amateur radio or if there`s a police/fire station who uses radio.

Sometimes a high voltage power line above the house also can cause such signals.

Regards

Stepke

Comment

Stepke, this is EMF not RF and Don is right on target.

This exact subject was discussed several years ago in a thread started by our resident EMF authority (his name escapes me). I don't remember whether or not we came up with a code compliant way to isolate the coax grounds to eliminate the parallel current flow.

I too agree that it's much to do about nothing, but if you insist try searching for that thread.

-Hal
                Last edited by hbiss; 07-07-08, 02:21 PM.

Comment

...and believes there house is hurting them.
                  I'm curious...what damage do they think it is doing to them?
                  Engineers are always honest in matters of technology and human relationships. That's why it's a good idea to keep engineers away from customers, romantic interests, and anyone else who can't handle the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by drbond24
                    I'm curious...what damage do they think it is doing to them?
                    There is a lot of hokum out there about a lot of things.
                    Bob

Comment

080707-1347 EST

So what is the definition of EMF and what does this EMF meter read?

From Wikipeda as a convenient source:
                      Electromagnetic field, a physical field
                      Electromotive force, a term used to characterize electrical devices

Note: for example, counter EMF is the induced voltage in a rotating DC motor armature.

Radio frequencies, infra-red, visible light, ultra violet, and x-rays are all electromagnetic fields. So why is RF excluded in one of the above comments?

So what frequency band is this EMF detector covering, and what is its sensitivity?

If I put this meter in an electric only field, or magnetic only field does it read anything?

If I go out in the middle of a farmers field, no power lines or radio transmitters near by, does it read anything? Next transmit from a 2 meter 5 W transmitter with a 1/4 wave monopole antenna 10 ft from the EMF device what does it read?

Four references:
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMF
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_field
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromotive_force
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter...romotive_force

Comment

Originally posted by petersonra
                        There is a lot of hokum out there about a lot of things.
                        Oh, I know.

You just need to tell them that in order to protect themselves, they should construct a hat as seen below and wear it at all times while inside their house. This also has the added benefit of keeping the aliens out of their heads.

Engineers are always honest in matters of technology and human relationships. That's why it's a good idea to keep engineers away from customers, romantic interests, and anyone else who can't handle the truth.

Comment

Comment

you should buy karl rileys book on EMF. very interesting. i bought the gaussmeter he reccomended and i have about 5milligauss right where i put my head down to sleep :grin: its due to the service drop on the outside wall
                            "Most good electricians are pretty sure that they are the best and the great ones never stop trying to be."

Comment

Originally posted by electricalperson
                              you should buy karl rileys book on EMF. very interesting. i bought the gaussmeter he reccomended and i have about 5milligauss right where i put my head down to sleep :grin: its due to the service drop on the outside wall
                              You need to do something about those 5 mg-- not good. I believe 2 is considered safe but it depends on the distance it is from you.

Karl Riley is the name that was escaping Hal--- 5 mg is alot and I would bet if Karl Riley chimed in, his opinion on Emf's would not be as relaxed as you guys are about it.

There has been some very valid info lately on high emf's and childhood lukemia. Perhaps you all want to risk that with your child but I definitely would not want my child at risk.

I don't see where the cable is causing this problem. I thought the op said he disconnected the cable to no avail.

i disconnected the cable from the house the problem still exists.
                              They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
                              She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
                              I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

Working...
                              X