Dwelling Unit hallway 3 way switches - code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

olc

Is there, in the NEC or any of the state codes, a requirement for hallway light switches at both ends of a hallway greater than 10 feet long? (or any other length)

It was brought up for a hallway 10'-6" but I can't find anything.

10' seems like a good length to have switches at either end if longer. My own house has a 13' hall and it is nice to have the switch at both ends.

I'm just looking to see if there is a written code rule.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There is nothing in the NEC that requires a 3 way switch. Practicality you may want one but the NEC is silent on it

KnightPower

Like Dennis stated theres no requirement for 3 way switching, but I provided the reference for additional lighting outlets.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Like Dennis stated theres no requirement for 3 way switching, but I provided the reference for additional lighting outlets.

The "additional lighting outlets" you are referring to are in addition to the required lighting outlets in Habitable rooms. It's just saying there are other required locations for a lighting outlet in addition to habitable rooms. It's not saying to add another in those areas.

(1) Habitable Rooms. At least one wall switch–controlled
lighting outlet shall be installed in every habitable room,
kitchen, and bathroom.
Exception No. 1: In other than kitchens and bathrooms, one or more
receptacles controlled by a wall switch shall be permitted in lieu of lighting
outlets.
Exception No. 2: Lighting outlets shall be permitted to be controlled by
occupancy sensors that are (1) in addition to wall switches or (2) located
at a customary wall switch location and equipped with a manual
override that will allow the sensor to function as a wall switch.
(2) Additional Locations. Additional lighting outlets shall be
installed in accordance with the following:
(1) At least one wall switch–controlled lighting outlet shall be
installed in hallways, stairways, attached garages, and
detached garages with electric power.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Isn’t there a code for 3 ways for stairways 6 risers or more? Or is that gone?

The nec never mentioned 3 ways but it does say there must be a switch to control a light at both levels. Usually this is a 3 way but it doesn't have to be. You could have 2 sp switches turning on different lights....

The point is 3 way is never used in the nec but in reality we always use 3 ways on stairs

lordofthisworld

The nec never mentioned 3 ways but it does say there must be a switch to control a light at both levels. Usually this is a 3 way but it doesn't have to be. You could have 2 sp switches turning on different lights....

The point is 3 way is never used in the nec but in reality we always use 3 ways on stairs

Ya true it doesn’t say it has to be a three way.

nickelec

There is a requirement two have to switches at the top and bottom of any set of stairs 6 risers or more but doesn't necessarily have to be a 3 way

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

KnightPower

And as stated previously.. the additional locations say hallways, stairways and attached garages yet no requirement for 3 way switching that answers the OP question. Futhermore this may be one of those instances where common sense gets quoted as Code.

480sparky

The way the NEC is written, one only needs a single switch per level. Ranch house on a slab: 1 switch. Ranch with basement: 2 switches. Two-story with basement: 3 switches.

Single-poles only. No 3-ways.

Legal, yes. Smart? It would be fiscal suicide. Wire houses like that and you'd be out of business pretty quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.