Maximum Number of Disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

faresos

Okay, I have a little update.

The utility company has confirmed the utility gear (what I called) within the building is customer owned but the utility has a lock on the main disconnect which that something I can't comprehend! now my questions is, can you have a lock on the main service disconnecting mean? I'm reading NEC230.92 which it appears we can.

230.92 Locked Service Overcurrent Devices. Where the service
overcurrent devices are locked or sealed or are not readily
accessible to the occupant, branch-circuit or feeder overcurrent
devices shall be installed on the load side, shall be mounted in a
readily accessible location, and shall be of lower ampere rating
than the service overcurrent device.

As was said earlier, this main disconnect feed another switchgear with 7 disconnects. If I do understand it correctly, 230.92 means we can open all the 7 disconnects which we still in compliance with 230.92. Is my interpretation correct?

Thanks,

kwired

Electron manager

The utility company has confirmed the utility gear (what I called) within the building is customer owned but the utility has a lock on the main disconnect which that something I can't comprehend! now my questions is, can you have a lock on the main service disconnecting mean? I'm reading NEC230.92 which it appears we can.

230.92 Locked Service Overcurrent Devices. Where the service
overcurrent devices are locked or sealed or are not readily
accessible to the occupant, branch-circuit or feeder overcurrent
devices shall be installed on the load side, shall be mounted in a
readily accessible location, and shall be of lower ampere rating
than the service overcurrent device.

As was said earlier, this main disconnect feed another switchgear with 7 disconnects. If I do understand it correctly, 230.92 means we can open all the 7 disconnects which we still in compliance with 230.92. Is my interpretation correct?

Thanks,
It is customer owned in that the customer likely paid for it. It may still be utility maintained, and IMO when applying NEC, if customer has no access to it it is on supply side of the service point.

Even with simpler single phase dwelling services we run into this with meter sockets, service drops or lateral components, or even in some cases a transformer or some of the medium voltage gear. Customer might pay for them, but utility may be the one that will maintain it after installed.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer

The utility company has confirmed the utility gear (what I called) within the building is customer owned but the utility has a lock on the main disconnect which that something I can't comprehend! ...

Tell the utility to come take their lock off the customer's equipment? Explain that it must have been an innocent mistake? I think they at least owe an explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.