Refrigerator Recep GFI Protected Manufacturer's "not recommended"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All. I'm working on a new home (2014 NEC), where the refrigerator Recep is within 6ft of the sink so it requires GFI protection. The Refrigerator Manufacturer's Specs say "Use of an electrical outlet with ground fault interrupter (GFI) is not recommended." Does the code recognize the manufacturer's specs? Does the word "recommended" versus "required" make a difference? The refrigerator is a Samsung. Thank You.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Not recommended in the instructions for an appliance does not allow you to remove the GFCI protection from a location that would otherwise require it.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I agree, it is required.

I finally got around to installing a GFCI device with an audible alert. Even I could hear it.

No reason not to use one.

(from experience) until.... GFCI trips, alarm sounds, handy hubby decides to pull full loaded refrigerator out to reset GFCI. Fails to protect $3K hardwood floor as wheel sticks and drags.. "danged GFFCI & the electrician who installed it !!!! :D

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Not recommended in the instructions for an appliance does not allow you to remove the GFCI protection from a location that would otherwise require it.
I'm in agreement yet I'm not in agreement.:? If you're plugging the refer into an area that requires GFCI protection (i.e a kitchen counter receptacle) then yes, I agree. However, if the receptacle is behind the refer and not readily accessible you do not need GFCI protection. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
(from experience) until.... GFCI trips, alarm sounds, handy hubby decides to pull full loaded refrigerator out to reset GFCI. Fails to protect $3K hardwood floor as wheel sticks and drags.. "danged GFFCI & the electrician who installed it !!!! :D

I did fail to note that a GFFCI device should be readily accessible, if for no other reason than your experience.

GFFCI, I like that. Mmm...AFFCI comes to mind now.:)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
if the receptacle is behind the refer and not readily accessible you do not need GFCI protection. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Then you would use a GFCI breaker or a faceless GFCI upstream in a readily accessible area.

Roger

... However, if the receptacle is behind the refer and not readily accessible you do not need GFCI protection. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't see an exception to the "within 6ft of the edge of a sink" for receps not readily accessible. I believe GFCI protection is required for a recep within 6ft of the sink even if it is behind the refer.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't see an exception to the "within 6ft of the edge of a sink" for receps not readily accessible. I believe GFCI protection is required for a recep within 6ft of the sink even if it is behind the refer.
A lot depends on the way this Code section is interpreted. If you're working on new construction, most all of the kitchens I've seen have a dedicated space or enclosure slot allocated for the refer. 2017 NEC 210.8A states :

210.8 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel. Ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel
shall be provided as required in 210.8(A) through (E). The ground-fault circuit interrupter shall be installed in a readily accessible location.
(6) Kitchens — where the receptacles are installed to serve the countertop surfaces
(7) Sinks — where receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) from the top inside edge of the bowl of the sink

IMHO, if the refer is inside its own enclosure or slot AND the receptacle is behind the unit it doesn't have to be GFCI protected irrespective of whether it's 6' from the sink or not.

Think about this for a moment - What if you have a Sub-Zero refer and the receptacle for that is up in the right hand corner at the rear of the unit. From my experience I've usually wired these units on their own circuit. Would you locate a GFCI receptacle behind the refer ? In order to get to that receptacle you would have to pull off the front of the condenser section to reset it. Would you use a GFCI breaker where the HO would have to go into the garage of basement to reset it in the event it trips ?

IMHO, I don't interpret the Code that way and I would NEVER put a refer on a GFCI protected circuit in a residence.

I'm sure the CMP's have all good intentions when they write these Codes but it's obvious they've never lost a refer or freezer full of food because a GFCI tripped.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
It’s obvious some of you have never been shocked by a fridge or freezer with a factory two wire cord. Most of the time those still working units are sent to the garage or basement storage rooms.

“Quit being a baby, stand on the rug or wear shoes like you’ve been told!”

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
A lot depends on the way this Code section is interpreted. If you're working on new construction, most all of the kitchens I've seen have a dedicated space or enclosure slot allocated for the refer. 2017 NEC 210.8A states :

210.8 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel. Ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel
shall be provided as required in 210.8(A) through (E). The ground-fault circuit interrupter shall be installed in a readily accessible location.
(6) Kitchens — where the receptacles are installed to serve the countertop surfaces
(7) Sinks — where receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) from the top inside edge of the bowl of the sink

IMHO, if the refer is inside its own enclosure or slot AND the receptacle is behind the unit it doesn't have to be GFCI protected irrespective of whether it's 6' from the sink or not.

Think about this for a moment - What if you have a Sub-Zero refer and the receptacle for that is up in the right hand corner at the rear of the unit. From my experience I've usually wired these units on their own circuit. Would you locate a GFCI receptacle behind the refer ? In order to get to that receptacle you would have to pull off the front of the condenser section to reset it. Would you use a GFCI breaker where the HO would have to go into the garage of basement to reset it in the event it trips ?

IMHO, I don't interpret the Code that way and I would NEVER put a refer on a GFCI protected circuit in a residence.

I'm sure the CMP's have all good intentions when they write these Codes but it's obvious they've never lost a refer or freezer full of food because a GFCI tripped.
Once again, the GFCI does not need to be a receptacle, there are other devices that can be located elsewhere to protect the receptacle.

Roger

jap

Occupation
Electrician

To each his own, but, in my area you would "never" pass a final inspection.

Audible alarm GFCI's for refrigerators are a waste of time also unless you never leave the house.

JAP>

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

If the receptacle is within 6' of the sink it requires GFCI protection it doesn't matter where it is.

kwired

Electron manager

GFCI protection is required if the receptacle is in a location specified in 210.8. All exceptions there once was for "dedicated spaces" were eliminated from NEC maybe about 15-20 years ago. I want to say it was either 2002 or 2005 when they eliminate them.

If the receptacle is not readily accessible then the GFCI device itself needs to be located where it is readily accessible, this doesn't change the fact that if it is within six feet of the sink (in 2014 and 2017) that you can eliminate GFCI just because the receptacle isn't readily accessible. In 2011 things were worded differently and GFCI wasn't required in a dwelling kitchen if the receptacle was behind the fridge. Seems to me the change was intentional enough it wasn't any oversight by the CMP, they wanted all receptacles within 6 feet of the sink protected even if they are not very accessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.