Refrigerator Recep GFI Protected Manufacturer's "not recommended"

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

To each his own, but, in my area you would "never" pass a final inspection.

Audible alarm GFCI's for refrigerators are a waste of time also unless you never leave the house.

JAP>

Well, there's your $millions. Make a GFCI with an ad-hoc wifi connection that ties into a smart home system so if your fridge GFCI trips, an app on your phone alerts you.

I'll take just 10%. You're welcome.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
When I was a kid, back in the 50s, if you touched the refrigerator handle and the sink faucet, you got a tingle. I reversed the plug on the refrigerator (not polarized then) and it solved the problem.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Well, there's your $millions. Make a GFCI with an ad-hoc wifi connection that ties into a smart home system so if your fridge GFCI trips, an app on your phone alerts you.

Simpler yet-- put the refrigerator on the kitchen lighting circuit. Probably not code, but when the GFCI trips, you'll notice it!

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
You put the kitchen lighting on a GFCI?

No, but if I did, both the light and receptacle would go out together, and be noticed.

*Sigh* Probably a the best solution so far is the "alarmed" dead-front GFCI. So you don't have to pull out the refrig to reset it.

Do the CMPs (I think of them as "Code Military Police...") actually have to -live- with their decisions??

jap

Occupation
Electrician
When I was a kid, back in the 50s, if you touched the refrigerator handle and the sink faucet, you got a tingle. I reversed the plug on the refrigerator (not polarized then) and it solved the problem.

When I was a kid back in the 60's our refrigerator used to do the exact same thing to us.

Only difference is back then myself and all of my siblings would wet our hand to see if we could make the tingle more aggressive. :)

For some odd reason,,, our parents really never tried to stop us ....... :)

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
No, but if I did, both the light and receptacle would go out together, and be noticed.

*Sigh* Probably a the best solution so far is the "alarmed" dead-front GFCI. So you don't have to pull out the refrig to reset it.

Do the CMPs (I think of them as "Code Military Police...") actually have to -live- with their decisions??

The best solution when it comes to worrying about a GFI tripping and spoiling all the contents of your electric refrigerator would be to purchase a natural gas or propane unit like what's in an RV.

JAP>

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Those stop working too. I think your best option is to move above the Arctic circle and keep your stuff outdoors.

No, wait! That's no good either. What about Global Warming? :roll:

-Hal

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
Those stop working too. I think your best option is to move above the Arctic circle and keep your stuff outdoors.

No, wait! That's no good either. What about Global Warming? :roll:

-Hal

And bears.

kwired

Electron manager
Refrigerator that is fairly full and loses power - stays cold for several hours if nobody opens the door.

Many people keep things in the fridge that don't need to be kept cold as well, so those items won't spoil especially if warmed up only for short time.

A freezer that is fairly cold can possibly stay cold for days if door isn't opened, especially type with door on the top side.

If you don't have much in there and lose power and food gets too warm and spoils you didn't really lose much.

Some people I guess would rather risk electrocution should fridge/freezer malfunction than risk having spoiled food should a GFCI trip.

Thanks again all. Seems the best solution is in the design stage, floor plan design, if possible, design the refer 6ft from the sink, that will solve the GFI issue, but we will always have AFCI issue.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

There's a great idea.:thumbsup: What if you're on vacation in Aruba ?:p

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
GFCI protection is required if the receptacle is in a location specified in 210.8. All exceptions there once was for "dedicated spaces" were eliminated from NEC maybe about 15-20 years ago. I want to say it was either 2002 or 2005 when they eliminate them.
Based on what the vast majority have posted here, I guess I stand corrected. I haven't done too much in the area of new residential construction in years - mostly remodel. To date I have not failed an inspection because I didn't put the refer on a GFCI protected circuit. That doesn't mean I did the right thing or maybe that the EI didn't pick up on it.

As many others have voiced their disapproving opinions regarding AFCI's in this Forum let me state mine on this subject. I think it's a bad idea to put a refer on a GFCI protected circuit. We now have to put DW's on GFCI circuits but if the DW fails the dishes didn't get washed - NO BIG DEAL. But if the refer fails due to a GFCI problem you lose your food. I can state, without a doubt, that HO's are not going to put up with this. If one of us EI's don't change out the GFCI protection they'll get Joe Handyman to make the change or do it themselves. I think the CMP's need to revisit this requirement or force the manufacturers to improve their products. Just my 2 cents worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.