Tesla Power Wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tesla Power Wall

I saw my first Tesla Power Wall install recently. The batteries were mounted in a mechanical area in a dwelling unit to serve as backup power (No solar on site.) and it looked to me to be a compliant install. But after looking at NEC 480.10(E) I am not sure egress requirements are met. The NEC offers no definition of “designated battery room.” Would any Power Wall installation require panic hardware?

Good call on section 480.10 Battery Locations.

However, the egress reference per 2017 NEC 110.26(C)(1) & (D)(1) only requires one door & no storage within dedicated equipment space measurements.

The AHJ may consider the dedicated room a garage, with other junk, as long as that junk doesn't violate equipment space.
    Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay

Comment

I think it would be an AHJ's call whether the room is 'dedicated.'

Comment

With the gel cell type batteries the requirements of a "battery room" are relaxed as they don't give off the same gases as the old type did.
        I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

[COLOR=red]There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.[/COLOR]

John Childress
        Electrical Inspector
        IAEI / CEI / C10
        Certified Electrical Inspector

Comment

Originally posted by ramsy View Post

The AHJ may consider the dedicated room a garage, with other junk, as long as that junk doesn't violate equipment space.
          Yes, we see this all the time. We install lots of these units, mostly in conjunction with PV (solar). Most of them are in garages and some of the garages actually have cars in them.

Comment

Working...
          X