Rule of 6 Disconnecting means

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rule of 6 Disconnecting means

Is the rule of 6 still allowed in the 2020? And if so are my options different? I really want to keep on doing this >>>

Attached Files

Originally posted by mbrooke View Post
    Is the rule of 6 still allowed in the 2020? And if so are my options different? I really want to keep on doing this >>>
    Yes , my understanding is that will be fine. What will not be allowed by the new (stupid dumb rule that is being changed without any history of problems) rule is multiple disconnects in a common enclosure, such as MLO panel or switch board.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Comment

Originally posted by electrofelon View Post

Yes , my understanding is that will be fine. What will not be allowed by the new [COLOR=#FF0000](stupid dumb rule that is being changed without any history of problems)[/COLOR] rule is multiple disconnects in a common enclosure, such as MLO panel or switch board.
      We really need to move to a five, or even better, ten year code cycle. The last few cycles, and most especially, 2017 and upcoming 2020 are proof that there is very little that need acted upon, but nobody seems satisfied to just say, "No need to make any changes this time."
      If Billy Idol is on your playlist go reevaluate your life.

Comment

Originally posted by ActionDave View Post

We really need to move to a five, or even better, ten year code cycle. The last few cycles, and most especially, 2017 and upcoming 2020 are proof that there is very little that need acted upon, but nobody seems satisfied to just say, "No need to make any changes this time."
        But then there is no reason to buy a new code book, the old one will suffice, and the NFPA is in the business of selling code books.

Comment

Originally posted by electrofelon View Post

Yes , my understanding is that will be fine. What will not be allowed by the new (stupid dumb rule that is being changed without any history of problems) rule is multiple disconnects in a common enclosure, such as MLO panel or switch board.

Like a single panel with 6 main breakers?

Comment

Originally posted by ActionDave View Post

We need to overhaul the whole NFPA, period.

Comment

Originally posted by norcal View Post

But then there is no reason to buy a new code book, the old one will suffice, and the NFPA is in the business of selling code books.
              If you look at history of previous editions near the front of the book, it hasn't always been ever three years between editions. It has been every three years since 1959. 53-58 was every year. Most the time before then it has been 2 or 3 years, there was 4 years between 1943 and 1947 - WWII maybe had a little to do with that??

New products is one thing, but I think changes for safety issues has leveled off to some degree and recent years they are searching for things to change whether it is practical or not. You can only "what if" so much before you just end up saying if it has electric power to it, it may have some hazards involved.
              I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Nahh. They solicit manufacturers and ask them "which of your products would you like us to require in the next edition?" Wouldn't be any money in doing that every 10 years.

-Hal

Comment

Originally posted by hbiss View Post
                  Nahh. They solicit manufacturers and ask them "which of your products would you like us to require in the next edition?" Wouldn't be any money in doing that every 10 years.

-Hal
                  I don't think they need to solicit manufacturers, I think manufacturers are submitting many or the PI's (formerly proposals) as well as feeding the CMP's information they call safety that favors their bottom line regardless of how bad the change may or may not really be needed.

Comment

All 3 above, yes.

Comment

That setup is a code violation.

JAP>

Comment

Originally posted by jap View Post
                        That setup is a code violation.

JAP>
                        I presume you seen the service and some non service conductors are likely in same wireway?

Comment

Originally posted by kwired View Post

I presume you seen the service and some non service conductors are likely in same wireway?
                          That is what it looks like to me
                          They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
                          She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
                          I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

You guys are quick...

JAP>

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Alwon View Post

That is what it looks like to me
                              Which section?

Comment

Working...
                              X