Rule of 6 Disconnecting means

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Is the rule of 6 still allowed in the 2020? And if so are my options different? I really want to keep on doing this >>>

Attachments

• 3 mains.jpg
    3 mains.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 1
Is the rule of 6 still allowed in the 2020? And if so are my options different? I really want to keep on doing this >>>

Yes , my understanding is that will be fine. What will not be allowed by the new (stupid dumb rule that is being changed without any history of problems) rule is multiple disconnects in a common enclosure, such as MLO panel or switch board.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Yes , my understanding is that will be fine. What will not be allowed by the new (stupid dumb rule that is being changed without any history of problems) rule is multiple disconnects in a common enclosure, such as MLO panel or switch board.

We really need to move to a five, or even better, ten year code cycle. The last few cycles, and most especially, 2017 and upcoming 2020 are proof that there is very little that need acted upon, but nobody seems satisfied to just say, "No need to make any changes this time."

norcal

We really need to move to a five, or even better, ten year code cycle. The last few cycles, and most especially, 2017 and upcoming 2020 are proof that there is very little that need acted upon, but nobody seems satisfied to just say, "No need to make any changes this time."

But then there is no reason to buy a new code book, the old one will suffice, and the NFPA is in the business of selling code books.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

Like a single panel with 6 main breakers?

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

We need to overhaul the whole NFPA, period.

kwired

Electron manager
But then there is no reason to buy a new code book, the old one will suffice, and the NFPA is in the business of selling code books.

If you look at history of previous editions near the front of the book, it hasn't always been ever three years between editions. It has been every three years since 1959. 53-58 was every year. Most the time before then it has been 2 or 3 years, there was 4 years between 1943 and 1947 - WWII maybe had a little to do with that??

New products is one thing, but I think changes for safety issues has leveled off to some degree and recent years they are searching for things to change whether it is practical or not. You can only "what if" so much before you just end up saying if it has electric power to it, it may have some hazards involved.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Nahh. They solicit manufacturers and ask them "which of your products would you like us to require in the next edition?" Wouldn't be any money in doing that every 10 years. :happysad:

-Hal

kwired

Electron manager
Nahh. They solicit manufacturers and ask them "which of your products would you like us to require in the next edition?" Wouldn't be any money in doing that every 10 years. :happysad:

-Hal

I don't think they need to solicit manufacturers, I think manufacturers are submitting many or the PI's (formerly proposals) as well as feeding the CMP's information they call safety that favors their bottom line regardless of how bad the change may or may not really be needed.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Which section?

Not sure what you are asking... Is this it

230.7 Other Conductors in Raceway or Cable. Conductors
other than service conductors shall not be installed in the same
service raceway or service cable in which the service conductors
are installed.
Exception No. 1: Grounding electrode conductors or supply side bonding
jumpers or conductors shall be permitted within service raceways.
Exception No. 2: Load management control conductors having overcurrent
protection shall be permitted within service raceways.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems

So, no more MLO MDPs?

Status
Not open for further replies.