"Six Throws" Grouping of Service Disconnects via (6) Inside 42 Circuit Load Centers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I'm with ya Dennis, but, go back and read his post #1.

It seems to be describing (6) 600 amp Main Breaker 42 circuit panels is what is being contemplated.

It's either that or the description is incorrect.

JAP>

Oh, I agree with what is said but it seems to be inaccurate. 42 circuit panel with 6-600 amp mains....I doubt it.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Oh, I agree with what is said but it seems to be inaccurate. 42 circuit panel with 6-600 amp mains....I doubt it.

(6) 42 circuit panels with a 600 amp main Breakers in each panel.

If there was (1) 1600 amp panel with 200a Feeder Breakers as you described, there would be no need to have to group the subpanels.

I'm just trying to find out exactly what's being installed.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
And, you cant stand in one place and open 6 doors, and throw 6 main breakers.

The walk to open 6 mains on 6 individual panelboards is going to be at least a 10 foot stroll. :)

JAP>

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
And, you cant stand in one place and open 6 doors, and throw 6 main breakers.

The walk to open 6 mains on 6 individual panelboards is going to be at least a 10 foot stroll. :)

JAP>

Where does it say that you need to stand in one place to operate the 6 disconnects? Large servce switchboards are often 20'-30' long with up to 6 service disconnects I don't see those as a violation.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Where does it say that you need to stand in one place to operate the 6 disconnects? Large servce switchboards are often 20'-30' long with up to 6 service disconnects I don't see those as a violation.

I never said it was a violation.

Again, go back and read the first post. I was just trying to make the point to Dennis that the OP seems to be describing 6 separate 600 amp panelboards. Not one panelboard with 6 feeder breakers in it.

Not that it's a violation it's just that I've never seen one done that way.

I , like Dennis, am used to seeing one large panelboard with 6 breakers in it when the 6 movement rule is utilized.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Correct. It is six large panelboards with main breaker. Imagine the attached picture but higher density of outlets and six panelboards. These panelboards will be grouped together and each one will be connected directly to the secondary of the transformer.

That's what I thought.

Thanks for the picture.

JAP>

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
For more background...This will be a bitcoin mining container (40 feet in length). So the six panels will land the conductors from the transformer and then these panels will branch off to feed ~1,000 outlets running down multiple rows of shelves. Each duplex outlet will be 208v with a 20 amp breaker from said panel. The outlets quad boxes will be fairly close together and running the length of the container on at least three rows.

If I understand your question right the answer is Yes.
Your going to have a single 10X40 FT shipping container with six panelboards in the back, like a Siemens P2.
Each panelboard will have a single 600A main installed and a 600A busswork for 21 bolt to buss two pole 20A 208V breakers.
Each breaker will terminate on a Nema 6-20 duplex receptacle, each receptacle will feed a typical 208 power strip.

I have seen telco / server containers that had a single P2 panel like you show in the photo.
The P2 is 20in wide a P3 is 24in, so you would loose the entire back 30 SQFT of the 400SQFT container just on working space.
And if you had 6 P3's they would not fit but you could go on the side wall.

I think you should get a review of your complete load calculations
My rate is a mere .02 BTC per hour
You can send the fee here:
1FTp6oYwS8Ptz8fLWv9oPiuEEXtRE5cEGV

:D

cottora

If I understand your question right the answer is Yes.
Your going to have a single 10X40 FT shipping container with six panelboards in the back, like a Siemens P2.
Each panelboard will have a single 600A main installed and a 600A busswork for 21 bolt to buss two pole 20A 208V breakers.
Each breaker will terminate on a Nema 6-20 duplex receptacle, each receptacle will feed a typical 208 power strip.

I have seen telco / server containers that had a single P2 panel like you show in the photo.
The P2 is 20in wide a P3 is 24in, so you would loose the entire back 30 SQFT of the 400SQFT container just on working space.
And if you had 6 P3's they would not fit but you could go on the side wall.

I think you should get a review of your complete load calculations
My rate is a mere .02 BTC per hour
You can send the fee here:
1FTp6oYwS8Ptz8fLWv9oPiuEEXtRE5cEGV

:D

We are looking at an Eaton Board. Two on back wall and two on the opposing walls. I think your loss of the general square footage is correct.

cottora

Ideally, we could spread the (6) 600 amp panels though the container vs consolidating them. Being that these are not Service Feeders, can we spread the panels or do we still need a “central” point of disconnection (and limited to six throws)? I get that doing this may make it difficult to maintain the Tap Rules because of the conductor lengths. Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If these are feeders then it begs a different question. Where is the transformer that is feeding these panel. If it is remote to the building then there is an issue of having more than one feeder to the building

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Ideally, we could spread the (6) 600 amp panels though the container vs consolidating them. Being that these are not Service Feeders, can we spread the panels or do we still need a “central” point of disconnection (and limited to six throws)? I get that doing this may make it difficult to maintain the Tap Rules because of the conductor lengths. Thanks

The definition of 'grouping' is subject to interpretation. Most of the AHJs I have dealt with would consider the interior of a shipping contain as 1 location, so the disconnecting means would not need to be contiguous.

cottora

If these are feeders then it begs a different question. Where is the transformer that is feeding these panel. If it is remote to the building then there is an issue of having more than one feeder to the building

The transformer would be right outside of the container/panel group (basically the outside wall is the only thing that would separate them)

Status
Not open for further replies.